I am 43 years old and just went off Zoloft after 13 years. I tapered off of the Zoloft a little too quickly and immediately stopped getting my period which was always regular-28 days to the letter. I have been having hot flashes and have not gotten my period for 3 months. I went to my Gyno and had all the blood tests. My results showed that I am in fact in menopause (my estrogen is low and my FSA levels are high). My question is, could going off Zoloft too quickly have triggered my menopause?

I was on Zoloft for 13 years (age 31 to 44). Immediately, in my 30's I began having severe night sweats every night for years and since off off it I am always very comfortably warm for myself but others comment on my the heat that my body gives off. Clearly, I believe my hypothalamus (which controls temperature) is compromised. I do not tolerate cold very well at all. Testing in my mid to late forties reveals high testosterone. I think it is very inappropriate for psychiatrists to just blindly prescribe SSRI's for depression. I also titrated slowly off of Zoloft and got my neurotransmitter levels tested (by saliva, blood and urine.) It was not just serotonin that was severely depleted, but norepinepherine, epinepherine, dopamine, 5 HIAA and especially GABA!!! There are other levels that I am tested for in addition to the ones I mentioned. I re-test every quarter to monitor appropriate neurotransmitter levels. Pharmaceutical re-uptake inhibitors seem to just re-manufacture or recycle whatever is already there where amino acids build these neurotransmitter levels in the brain- makes much more sense to me since the amino acids are proteins which give life to my body as well. Anyway, I was always suspicious of Zoloft affecting my body in an unhealthy way- never helped with the depression anyway because I needed more than just serotonin, as  I mentioned. I think it is criminal for psychiatrists to just blindly prescribe pharmaceuticals without testing levels in the brain- by the way, they are the only doctors that do not test the organ for which they specialize in and every time I would see a psychiatrist they didn't exactly know what I needed, they always asked me to try something and see how it worked- I could do my own research on google myself, (what a crock!) and often I did- that is how I figured out I needed norepinephrine and dopamine stimulation. I have been doing 400% better using amino acids and other vitamins and supplements - and a healthy diet- of course is the main base.

Hello, I need some help too about Zoloft and Peri-menapause. My periods have been irregular. I went to my Gyny and my FHS levels are really high. I am just 43 years old. The doctor says its an early perio menapause. I am very saddened, as I haven't had children yet. I need some answers. I have been on of Zoloft for a couple years. I wonder if i go off, will my periods return normally. I need help, I know that this is not normal. I want children.