Hi, folks. My close friend suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder. I talked to her psychiatrist and she told me that the core of treatment is psychotherapy. I would like to know whether it is enough for her condition. Won’t she be given some medications? What are your experiences? Thanks in advance.

Hi to you too. Borderline Personality Disorder is really treated with psychotherapy. It is the main thing in therapy. This therapy is called Dialectical behavioral therapy. It is specially designed to treat this disorder. These patients tend to skip their appointments with psychiatrists. It is conducted as individual therapy, group therapy, telephone contact and skills training. Medications can be introduced to therapy if there is additional symptoms like depression, anxiety and similar. This psychotherapy has showed good results in many trials. I hope your friend will feel better. Bye!

I have Borderline Personality disorder it gets better with age at least it has for me. I have a chemical depression the way I tell if I have enough serotonin in my brain is by my dreams. No dreams means no serotonin psychotic dreams means to much serotonin. Environment can and does play a part but I know it is chemical when I have no environmental reason for the depression. I eat a potato before bed and it causes me to dream again and removes the depression.

I was on antidepressant drugs but could not deal with feeling numb. I read this book Potatoes Not Prozac I tried it and it worked for me. I am also diabetic so I have read many books on keeping my sugar under control and helped me solve my depression problem.

"The same brain chemicals that are altered by antidepressant drugs are also affected by the foods we eat. According to addiction expert DesMaisons, many people, including those who are depressed, are "sugar sensitive." Eating sweets gives them a temporary emotional boost, which leads to a craving for still more sweets. The best way to keep these brain chemicals in the right balance and keep blood-sugar levels steady, she says, is through the dietary plan she describes in Potatoes Not Prozac. Her rules are fairly simple - eat three meals a day, eat proteins with every meal (especially those high in the amino acid tryptophan, which creates the calming neurotransmitter serotonin), and eat more complex carbohydrates, such as whole grains and, yes, potatoes. Not only will this make you less depressed, DesMaisons says, but it will also keep you from craving too much of the foods you shouldn't eat, making it a self-regulating system. ftrbooks.net/psych/prozac/potatoes.htm

Hope this helps!

Hi there! I suffered from BPD from my young teenage years up into my early 20's, but I'm extremely glad and proud to say that with the combination of adderall and xanax, taken as prescribed, has led me to find great happiness, success, love, laughter, and joy. By the age of 23 I managed to establish myself as a very successful digital strategist and graphic designer. I was able to find love and build strong relationships with friends and family, that had at one time been non-existent. To be honest, I never found therapy helpful and I truly believe if the right doctor is treating your friend with the right medication that therapy will no longer be needed. I know for a fact that the right medications have saved my life in so many ways and I'm forever grateful to have found myself and live a truly beautiful life. So to those who have opinionated remarks or comments regarding BPD drug treatment, don't underestimate the power of a medication that can and truly WILL help you. Personally, I don't agree with anti-depressants and I feel they tend to cause more harm than good. My psychiatrist explained how adderall has places my BPD under control and that it is often used to treat severe depression caused by everyday life stresses to BPD. These are why these drugs exist, to help people, to guide people, but most importantly to save people. Tell your friend to never ever give up, find the right doctor, do research, and fight for the life they deserve!