Hello. I'm 46 year old male.
I have been taking Zoloft for to depression and it's shown that it works pretty well.
I have been using it for about three years and all this time, of course-scarred by my doctor, I haven’t use any alcohol what so ever.
So, I'm wondering is this exaggerating or what?
I am by no means a drinker, only whine at special occasions, nothing straight and always with food.
Did anyone have some unpleasant experiences with using alcohol and Zoloft at the same time?

Well, I will brief as I could- no matter what type of medication you are taking, it is best to avoid alcohol altogether.
Antidepressants especially!
Zoloft inhibits your brain's ability to reabsorb serotonin and Alcohol also affects serotonin levels in your brain. Using these two drugs together could produce unexpected and unwanted emotions.
Beside this, taking Zoloft and alcohol together may enhance the effects of the alcohol.
There could be even much more serious side effects because Zoloft can produce sedative effects and, since alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, lowered heart rate and blood pressure changes are possible and suspected.

i have been taking zoloft for about three months and i am up to 100mg and i want you to know that zoloft and alcohol will cause you to be very drunk very fast, i learned this on my 21st birthday. you really feel one drink. and one shot will cause you to forget the entire night.

Zoloft does not enhance the effects of alcohol for me. One drink still feels like one drink and ten feels like ten. It does however sometimes give me unexpected mood swings while drinking alcohol. Alcohol does that to me without zoloft but zoloft seems to make them more extreme.

it sounds like you dont drink enough to be concerned. i will tell you that i went throught a rather crazy phase when i first started taking zoloft and i blacked out on a regular basis. while i was binge drinking, i believe the zoloft was the reason for the blackout (meaning i would not have blacked out on alcohol alone)

Never blackout before I used zoloft. I not a big drinker but when I drink I almost always have blackouts especially if I drink more than 3 beers. I alway thought when people said they didnt remember they were full of it. I always make sure I'm in a safe place if Im going to drink alot.

THat's really unfortunate that you suffer from blackouts but it does make a lot of sense to me since alcohol is a depressant and zoloft has effects that are pretty much the opposite of what they want to achieve. How do you cope?

! I have had blackouts, memory loss, been in a Mexican jail and was beaten brutally by the federales with a billy club!, a DUI, been brutally beaten on 3 occasions by men in fights I apparently started one time leading to getting 13 staples in my head! and it was all due to mixing Zoloft with alcohol. Every time this happened I was moderating my alcohol only consuming as much as my friends and what I thought I could handle, constantly checking myself before each drink to see if maybe it was time to cut my self off but it seems that I always felt just fine and then BAM!!! I was blackout wasted with extremely erratic mood swings, anger, and doing things that made no sense at all!
I thought I was an alcoholic but really I was just young and having a good time, unfortunately when alcohol is mixed with Zoloft ( No other drugs were used) the worst times of my life happened. Years later I still can't piece together what really happened, but at least I figured out why. I still take Zoloft, but now I almost never drink, and if I do I really limit it 1-3 drinks and never drive.

I'm so greatful to have come across these messages. I rarely drink now but a few years ago I faced the hardest time of my life. Way too long a story to tell here. But needless to say I was prescribed a couple different antidepressants to get through it, one of which was Zoloft. During this rough patch I also started partying and drinking more than I normally would have. I'll just say I was told that I did many things that I had never done before. I used to not believe people that said they didn't remember or blacked out either. Until it started happening to me. I woke up with people I had no attraction to and wouldn't remember what had happened. A "friend" was just giving me a ride home he said one minute I was normal and the next he thought he was with a totally different person. It got so bad that my friends even gave me different names to describe the different personalities they would see when I would drink.
I'm not looking for an excuse for bad behavior, but I had really gotten down on myself. I really felt like maybe something was really wrong with me. I've finally taken control of my life and I just really felt so bad for letting myself get so out of control. I kept thinking I know I wasn't drinking more than my friends or more than I had been drinking in the past, but my actions and reactions were so different. I hope that these messages help others but hopefully before they do so many dumb things like I did.

I drink a moderate amount now on zoloft - not huge, but I'll have a big friday or saturday night now and then.

I don't find any difference from the effects of the alcohol from when I wasn't on zoloft. If I have a couple of drinks I'm fine, and if I drink a lot I get drunk - just like before when I wasn't on zoloft.

What I do find is that my desire to KEEP on drinking is stronger, and I find it harder to restrain myself from drinking too much once I start. I can't just have a quiet drink or two. I always want to keep going and have more and more.

While I don't have any differences in mood at all (when I get drunk, I'm the same person, just louder and more extroverted), my inhibitions are much less restrained on zoloft, and I'm more prone to do stupid things that I regret in the morning.

I've never blacked out or anything like that, but I have had times where I remember the night, but couldn't remember how I got home etc.

I am 52 old woman -on anti-depressants for 10 yrs... Zoloft for the last year and BELIEVE ME when I say - DON"T DRINK!!!  I would have a beer, feel fine, have another, feel fine, then wham-o -- become dizzy, light-headed, weepy, then belligerent and angry... I was like another person. The night would always end badly, me angry w/someone then wondering the next morning what happened???  Been invited to a New Year's Eve party tonight - can't drink (but know I will want the social "lube" alcohol provides)- and wonder if I should just stay home instead and have a pity party w/myself as the entertainment!

I can totally relate to WaWa! I'm 51, been on zoloft for about 5 years now. Actually I can also relate to guest that said they want to "keep on drinking once they start". My husband has had to put up with some real c**p from me while drinking. Just this past Friday my doctor increased my dosage from 50mg to 100mg so I am really going to try and not drink. It's hard - I enjoy having a few, but my sanity and my marriage mean more to me. Thank you to everyone that has posted their expeiences on here! You've helped me tremendously!!

On several occasions of heavy and mixed drinking (beer and spirits) I experienced blackouts. I did and said things that I couldn't remember (not even in the usual vague, hazy recollection); I turned angry and violent; I basically turned into a completely different person. In some instances I didn't know who or where I was or who the people around me were. It was as if I suffered a split personality.

I don't recommend drinking heavy spirits or mixing drinks while on Zoloft or any other form of anti-depressants.

I just started Zoloft yesterday and had a rum & coke after I put my kids to bed.  I woke up on my floor, naked and covered in blood.  I had apparently invited a guy I had a crush on over and did what he wanted, then went crazy.  I apparently alternated between crying and trying to rip his throat out.  The last thing I remember from last night was sitting on my couch to watch TV.  I was horrible.

OMG..You just explained my story. That's how i feel starting zoloft and drinking. How have you gotten over this. I like to drink, however I still want to maintain control.