My sister is 50 years old and she is not dealing well with her menopause. That also means she has made a real mess out of her life, including her marriage too. She is not into taking meds, she hopes it will all pass on its own, but I am not so sure if that will happen just like that. And on top of that, it seems that she has developed anxieties too. I just don't know how to help he, can you tell me something about herbal medication Kava kava. Can it be used for anxiety?

I know that beginning of menopause can really be a stressful and annoying period, for the women and the people around them. I have had problems for almost a year and it included dealing with depression and mood changes. Still, I did not use anything, and I guess that might happen to her. Of not, herbal meds might help. As for kava kava, I have heard that it induces euphoria, muscle relaxation, sometimes even sleep. I guess that is something we could all use from time to time.

Hello all,
L-Theanine is really good for anxiety too. It is an amino acid found in green tea that puts one in a state of relaxation. What theanine does is it increases the prodiction of the neurotransmitter GABA in the brain (which eases anxiety and promotes relaxation), it increases the production of dopamine in the brain and decreases the amount of serotonin in the brain. That is a all in one package for anxiety, because people with anxiety disorders have too much serotonin. So decreasing the amount is a good idea.

The best way is of course to drink tea, and one cup of green tea provides 50 mg of theanine. I would try to drink 4 to 5 cups a day to get the best relaxation.