I am going to have ACDF surgery and will wear a collar for 6 weeks. What do I need to get ahead of time? Some say a wedge pillow is helpful and others say a recliner is necessary. What is your experience? ?

just had my acdf surgery 3 days ago, C5,6 ,& 7  pain isn't that bad.  Am using a recliner for sleep.  I've only taken 3 pain pills since I've been home.  A shower chair is a must, swallowing is difficult, sort of feels like you are swallowing around a boiled egg in your throat.  I have a very short neck and the doctor did modify my collar to help the friction on my ears.  all in all it hasn't been too bad.  I do have help getting in and out of the chair and  when my pants get too low I have to have help pulling them up after using the toilet.  I also had left carpal tunnel surgery at the same time. 

Quote:

I am scheduted for the same surgery next Tuesday. I am very scared to have the plate and screws in my neck. Do you feel the plate once you have had time to heal?

staples wrote:

Quote:

I had the same surgery on June 5 .... I have NEVER felt the plate and/or screws. You should not feel those after your surgery.

i had the same surgery 3 weeks ago today. form the day after surgery to present, i have zero arm or finger pain, no tingles, nothing.  no pain at incision at all.  just a hassle wearing this dang collar 6 weeks!  surgery was at 230pm on monday and i left hospital at 1030am tues.  you wont be able to drive for 2 weeks and the reason being is the dr. does not want you to turn your head from side to side so to keep screws etc from pulling away until fusion has begun. swallowing is the worst.  i could barely swallow cup of soup.  that lasted almost exactly 2 weeks.  all good for thanksgiving.  2 things i would recommend: do not sneeze and try not to let anyone startle you as it makes your head jerk and that hurts pretty good for about 2-3 minutes.

I had c5-6-7 fused 5 years ago..although it didn't heal the spinal stenosis,it did stop it in that area..All the pain I felt after was sharp needle like pain sometimes in that area.This pain stopped after a few months.