I have been reading this site and now am scared to death. My surgery is scheduled for July 10th.

I started having pain in my left arm sometimes severe but most times just very painful and bothersome. My arm goes numb and tingling ofter.

I had an MRI and have a severly herniated disc at C6-7. I was offered steriod injections but the doctor said that would just be a temporary fix and that I would have to have surgery eventually so went ahead and scheduled it.

So a few questions:

1. Does anyone have any good results?
2. Am I dreaming thinking I will be able to go back to my office job after two weeks? The doctor seems to think it is possible.
3. How soon after surgery will I be able to use my laptop or desktop?
4. Is it possible to sleep in my bed.....do I need a wedge?
5. What suggestions do you have for food to eat after surgery?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op from a C6-7 ACDF and i feel great! To answer your questions:
1.Immediately after surgery i felt great! No more pain in my right shoulder and arm along with the numbness in my fingers.There is some discomfort when swallowing afterwards from the retracting of the esophagus & that goes the same with coughing being that they also retract the trachea.That seemed to go away 6 days after surgery.
2.I did not have to wear a collar at all and was back to work 2 weeks later!!
3.you can use your computer immediatly after....dont see why this should be a problem.
4.sleeping in my bed was a breeze...better to not lay flat. use a couple of pillows and you'll be fine.
5.fortunatly for me 4 hours sfter surgery i ate 2 chicken breats,rice,soup, and a smoothie! Basicly my doc said if i could tolerate swallowing than to go for it.

So with all of that said....i feel great and would not hesitate 1 minute if i had to do it all over again!

Best of luck to ya!!

My husband had surgery a week ago. He ah a spur on c-5. They did C5 & C6 Then C6 & C7. He had relief of the pain in his neck and both arms right after surgery. He had some pain at incision site, but it is control with pain medication. Before surgery no pain medication worked. He is having some trouble with his taste buds. And some difficulty swallowing. The doctor states this will clear up. He is happy he had the surgery.

Feeling good wrote:

Best of luck to ya!!

i have had acdf with ttanium discs in c 4 5 67 im experincing a great deal
of tightness in my left shoulder to the point of sweling and lumps it has been 15bdays since the surgery, sleeping is sparadic and i need advce on pillows and whether massage will reliee the pain &tightness

i just had acdf on c-6and c-7 on may 7th 2012 and i am dooing great i woke up pain free other than the incision site being sore but after 5 days i feel like a new man . the key is the surgeon you have so research your surgeon i am not currently on pain pills neither so good luck to you but if i had to do it healingi would and dont smoke it will delay

did you end up having the surgery? I am in the same situation as you...about to consult for surgery. I have done Physical Therapy and one steroid injection (Last week) that did not work. I did, however, get 2 great nights of sleep from the sedative...that was nice...its the left shoulder blade and arm thing that drives me nut, literally. Rare good moods here. I'd like to know your experience. TMaK

I just had an ACDF on 5/6 an 6/7 yesterday! Felt fine enough to go home that night. Insurance required a one night stay so I got home today about noon. So far so good. Feels like a very sore throat and my neck muscles are sore. I have a collar I can wear if I want, but am not required to. My incision is very small, less than 1.5 inch and mine is horizontal. This was my first ever surgery so I was nervous. I remember being rolled out of my room and then waking back up in it. Less than 2 hours later I was eating meatloaf, mashed potatoes, etc. Next morning had a huge breakfast. No issues eating at all. I took hardly any pain meds (oxycodone and Valium)when they offered them.

Hey man I just had this surgery done about four days ago and I ate a fried ham and cheese sandwich and tomato soup maybe 5 hours after surgery. I was up and walking around when I was able to come too. I was using my iPhone in the hospital bed. And used my desktop when I got home I did not like sleeping in my bed but it's totally possible. I do have mild discomfort nothing terrible. And I regained some of my strength I was losing in my left arm within a day I noticed a difference. And I'm not sure about the work because I just had it done a few days ago. And there is some discomfort when you try to drink or eat you will notice it but no excuse not to eat or drink

Yea! Im having C6-7 ACDF next Tuesday and after reading all the post was thinking.....great this doesn't look promising. Im so glad to see someone's doing well and good.

Maybe it's my age, but I ma haivng trouble! I am almost 62. I had ACDF and laminotomy for bone spurs at C6/7 2 weeks ago. I had a lot of pain and discomfort for 1.5 weeks. My incision was sore and I had difficulty getting in and out of bed and some trouble swallowing for a few days. I had severe pain in the back of my neck post op, which seemed to come as a surprise to my doctor. He said it was likely due to a tiny bit of stretching on the nerve (1mm) during the bone graft. I was surprised and disappointed at the amount of pain I was having, as my Dr. told me I wouldn't experience much pain! This of course, made me worry if something was wrong with me. I am 2 weeks and 3 days post op and though much improved, I am still having a moderate amount of burning in my arm, and still requiring pain med. This surgery took a hell of a lot out of me. I had lumbar surgery 12 yrs ago that was a piece of cake compared to this.

Hi. I too was scared to death to have my surgery. For 2 long years I had to deal with the pain going down my right arm and my hand felt dead all of the time, along with a stiff neck feeling. Let me tell you....when I woke up after surgery, my hand was warm and 'alive'. :) I was in a little pain, mostly in my shoulders, but they gave me ice packs and they seemed to work. I live about 80 miles from where I had surgery and I had to beg for a neck brace to wear home, out of my own fear. My doc is highly recommended and he was not really concerned. My surgery went really well. Eleven days post op, I was released from the doctor. I am 41 years old, and I honestly thought I would be off my feet for up to 6 weeks! I was shocked that he released me that soon. He stated that my neck at C6/C7 is the strongest part of my body now...to use my own judgement, but I could lift up to 50lbs if I wanted to. The recovery & the surgery itself was one of the easiest I have ever had done. I came home the same day, was pretty much in my RECLINER(you should get one) for 11 days, and did not move my neck much...just out of fear of ruining my fusion. No pain, just uncomfortable in my neck & shoulder muscles. I only took my meds for those 11 days! After it was all said and done, I was wondering to myself, why i was so scared, because it was that easy. As for foods, I really did not eat much, if I did it was very little. The first 2 days was a soft or liquid diet, only because swallowing was just a bit difficult because of the swelling. You may be a little hoarse for a few weeks or so. It has been 3 weeks since my surgery and I have resumed all activity. I still use caution, and I don't go crazy and do things that I would think might hurt my neck, just because I myself am still worried. I still have a little bit of swelling, and often when I cough or laugh it feels like something sharp is in my throat(which you may experience early on). Honestly, the worst part of my surgery was(& I apologize for the details) the effects of the meds(constipation). Take a stool softener often!!!! LOL :) I only wore my neck brace home from the hospital and for the first night. Everyone is different with that. I hope this has helped you. I hope you have an amazing team and a doctor who is as good as mine. If so, you will be fine. I promise all the worrying is not worth it, but I understand that it can't be helped. I wish you a speedy recovery!!!!

I had the C6/7 ACD and F surgery on 21st December. I have not looked back and never had any pain from coming out of the op. I think 2 weeks after surgery is rather quick! I have a desk job too and had to stay off for 6 weeks. My surgeon gave me a collar to wear 24 hours a day for 6 weeks therefore I had no problems sleeping :) My friend recently had the op at a different hospital and wasn't given a collar and dies suffer some discomfortm her voice is also still croaky. I ate toast straight after the op she was given ice cream only so maybe this is why. Good Luck for the op and stay positive x

I had this surgery Dec 20 2014, I did really quite well, considering having to wear the brace for 6 weeks. thought I was doing well, but lately I've been having pain right at the disc location, I call it the "hump" of my neck,  my shoulder and arm pain are gone, but the pain at my spine is still tender, been icing/heating it lately, and it seems like I always wake up with a stiff neck

I am about to schedule my surgery and am scared. I've read everything I can and talked with several surgeons who were recommended to me. I feel comfortable with either of them. My concern is afterwards. WHat is the recovery like and how long before I feel like 'me' again. I've been in pain so long I wonder if i'll recognize 'me'.

HOw long before I can drive?

Do you still have throat pain ? If not how long did it last ? I'm 6 weeks post op and still suffering