Hi! My husband drinks more then 5 drinks per day over many years. I noticed some change, he forgot some things. Do you know how alcohol affects on brain?

Hi! Drinking over many years leads to permanent changes in the brain. One of the effects of alcohol on the brain is to reduce the amount of brain tissue and to increase the size of the ventricles instead. Drinking can affect on the brain through depriving it of food substances such as vitamins. Heavy drinkers often don’t take care about diet, which can lead to vitamin deficiencies. Thiamine, one of the B vitamins is most commonly missing from the diet and can lead to serious mental disturbance. So, I suggested taking care about his diet, he should eat food rich with thiamine. He should avoid alcohol. He probably needs medical help.

He should try taking a multi vitamin that has essential B vitamins, B12,b6, these are essential for maintaining memory. Also if his mood has changed over the years he might want to take an amino acid, L-glutamine.