I do not drink much alcohol but my blood tests are going down, now at 1.8 but warfarin does has not been altered. Why should the levels change

I have no idea why your warfarin levels are changing. However, here is information on why you should not drink when taking warfarin.

Intermittent, occasional or binge drinking tends to raise the INR. This means that your body is acting as if you are taking more warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven) than you really are. This increases your risk of having a rectal bleeding episode. Saving up all of the drinks you would have had for the week and having them all at a special occasion is one of the worst things you can do. A study of the use of alcohol in medications offers some insight as to how this works. The most common protein in the blood is albumin. Most of the warfarin that a person takes in a dose physically binds to albumin. The warfarin that is bound is then inactive. Alcohol appears to lower the amount of warfarin that is bound to albumin. The unbound warfarin is the part that has an effect on the clotting factors. Therefore, the INR will increase because there is more warfarin working in the body.

Daily moderate alcohol use (1 or 2 drinks - no more) has little effect on the INR. Whether or not it raises the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding is an unanswered question. Some people's attitude is, "If I cannot have a glass of wine with dinner, then I won't take warfarin." Taking warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven) in this case is probably better for you than not taking it. However, the important word is "probably". Whether or not this is true is not proven.

Daily alcohol use of greater than three or more drinks will result in the possibility of several thing happening. First, the enzymes that metabolize the warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven) can become more active. This means that the INR test will show that you are not taking enough warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven). Then your warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven) dose will be increased. Should you suddenly stop drinking, the INR will shoot upward and increase your risk of bleeding. The other thing that might happen is that the alcohol will irritate the lining of your gastrointestinal tract. If this get some bleeding started, it can be very difficult to stop.

So.. the reference is for daily drinkers. I do not drink daily.. I am 33 yrs old, female. I am on warfarin for a P.E. that was found 2 months ago. I have not drank a drop out of fear but lately I just need to relax a little and would like to do a couple shots. Anyone help?? please??

I have to get rid of this "rip someones head off feeling". I know I sound desperate, but I feel desperate at this point. I used to drink a little and listen to music while i surfed the web. Is it that big of a deal if I did a couple shots now???????

I would not worry too much about a couple of drinks a day. Four and a half years ago I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve with a titanium one. I also had one bypass done while they were in there. Of course the titanium valve forces me to be on warfarin for the rest of my life. I have used alcohol since I was about 18 years old. I did not stop. Some days I have none, usually at least two or three drinks and sometimes as many as eight a day. My goal PT is 2.5 to 3.5. I have always stayed in this range with a dosage of 5 mg per day. If anything, occasionly it drops towards 2.0 and they will tell me that night to take an extra 2.5 mg one time. I am checked every month to six weeks. So, even though my drinking varies quite a bit and is sometimes excessive, the effect on my PT seems negligible. I know that it is in my best interest to stop the exceesive drinking on those days it occurs. I am currently trying to keep it more consistent. My goal now is to never have more than four drinks in a day and usually three or less. Moderation can NEVER HURT. Good luck!

Im On warfarin for multiple blood clots and im 16 the doctors told me im aloud to drink 1-2 drinks if i wanted because they knew i would do it no matter what because im a teenager it is safe to drink on them just dont drink to excess, because that could cause bleeding

I am on warfarin, low molecular lovenox and foltix for two genetic blood disorders. When I have just one or two drinks, my INR has stayed between it's range of 2.5-3.5. I have overdone the alcohol in the past and due to alcohol causing dehydration, it has dropped below a 1. Both times I paid for it. I got blood clots. But then I've had a pulmonary embolism with an INR of 2.8. And I've actually had my INR jump up to a 13 (not1.3 but a 13) due to an infection. Now I just choose not to drink at all. I suppose it depends on what you are on warfarin for, your metabolism, body chemistry, etc... I suppose that it is trial and error with most on warfarin.

I've been on warfarin on and off for 23 yrs but prem since 2004. I was also on lovenox for a year. I was asked not to drink but told 1-2 a day would be ok. I have soo much trouble with my inr that I choose not to. My goal level is between 3-4. I have thrown clots even on lovenox. I can be in goal and have a clot, the drs don't know why. I know this is a long shot but is sterssters reads this please ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use
. I would love to know what genetic blood disorder you have. I have been checked for protein c and some others and don't have them. I know there is no cure but would really love to have a name if you know what I mean.

I'm 21 years old and on warfarin. Turns out i have a clotting disorder called antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. I'll be on warfarin for life and i'm still trying to determine how often i can have a drink. I don't drink ever unless its socially at a party. I;m 21 and go out with my friends and like to have a drink if possible but sometimes the fear is too much. My INR is supposed to be between 2-3 and last night it was a 1.9. I assume its okay to have a beer today on Easter because if anything it will put me back into my range. I think that's how it works. An occasional beer will raise the INR right?

Having a few drinks in a day or any day is not an issue, consistency is. Drinking booze is no different to any other changes in your diet. Coriander increases your INR but you don't have to avoid it, just don't eat truck loads. There is no need to panic or worry about your INR level, just get it checked. What's a little prick every now and then !

Suggest you talk to your Doc about an antianxiety medication. A wee bit of valium would be much better for your health than a couple of shots.

Has your intake of dark green vegies changed lately? To much vitamin k affects warfarin.

Hey! I'm in my 40's and acquired this. Warfarin for life until their is a cure.

Do you have a blood mutation called Factor V Leiden?

We sound like brothers except for age. I'm 65/male and had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve and like you I have around 4 drinks a day. My number are all over the place from 1.2 to 7.6. Only 38% of the time have my reading been in the 2.0 to 3.0 range. When they call me to let me know the latest number and it's out of range they give me h_ll. They keep me on 7.5 mg a day. But after reading the post above my drinking should decrease the numbers! Does anyone know for sure what all this above means?

To be brutally frank, it means you drink too much. You can take another anticoagulant that does not require monitoring, like Plavix or Prodaxa, but alcohol, especially twice as much as an otherwise healthy man should drink, is going to risk a bleed. Talk frankly with your physician about your alcohol use, cut down & quit any way you can. Antianxiety meds do not cause a bleed risk (e.g. diazepam, et al).