Hi! My best friend is vegetarian and he has been trying to make me become one too. I think I could give up meat, and even eggs but I love drinking milk so much that I could never give it up. It is a kind of ritual for me ever since I was a child to drink a glass of milk before I go to sleep. My friend assures me that there are many substitutes for milk made from plants or grains and he even made me taste some. I really liked the taste of rice milk maybe even more than cow’s milk, but it makes me wonder which is really better for me. So who wins in cow’s milk vs. rice milk? Does anybody have an opinion on this?

I think that it is not right for your friend to push you into something which is not your own choice, especially when it comes to something so much disputed as being a vegetarian. It would be a very radical change for you, and your body would rebel it for sure. As far as these two kinds of milk are concerned, (if we can even call rice milk a milk) of course that cow’s milk is far richer in nutritients such as vitamins, proteins and minerals. I have read that Japanese people are taller as a nation since they introduced cow’s milk into their every day diet. Doesn’t this say it all?

I would agree that rice milk is mostly made of carbohydrates while cow’s milk has proteins and carbs, and I would also agree that it lacks in vitamin D and calcium when compared to cow milk. What I wouldn’t agree on though is that these facts make it worse than the cow milk. Rice milk is almost always enriched with vitamin D and calcium, and other nutritients it lacks can be substituted with other food we eat. Cow milk is full of cholesterol and it is the number one cause of food allergies among infants and children. There is also a study that showed that people who suffered from irregular heartbeats, asthma, headaches, fatigue, and digestive problems have improvements in their health after cutting milk from their diets. So in my opinion you should think of accepting your friend’s advice.

First of all, I will argue that the original poster's body will NOT rebel against a diet/lifestyle change. I was a huge meateater for 20 years, and when I made the change, nothing negative happened; in fact, I only gained benefits from becoming vegetarian.

Anyway, rice milk wins anyday. Can you name any species that drinks milk after infancy? Nope... okay, how about a species that drinks the milk of another species? Still none.

That says enough for me. Why drink something so unnatural??

We are also the only species who cooks our food- are you saying we should stop doing that, therefore causing us to eat nothing but raw foods, thus wreaking havoc on our teeth, mouths and digestive systems as well as depriving ourselves from the added nutrients that can be exposed in certain foods from being cooked?

There are plenty of benefits of both, and I'm sure as time goes on more arguments will be found both in favor and against each.

When these sort of things come up in arguments, I always just want to fall back on how we once used to see opium, heroin, cocaine, cigarettes and alcohol. All of which were originally thought to benefit us in some way and were even prescribed by physicians!

Personally, I will continue to eat a balanced diet of both meat and vegetables and will happily remain that way. To each his own, just know the facts.

anonymous wrote:

Raw uncooked food chewed properly is by far the simplest thing for our body to digest. Nutrients are removed during the cooking process. Cooking helps in the preservation, transportation and taste.

Cow's milk is horrible - detrimental - for humans. ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

On a more serious note, ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed much of the cow's "milk" that's produced today isn't really milk at all, but is a toxic soup of harmful chemicals that will destroy your health.

And if that's not enough to make your hair stand on end, do a search for ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Fortunately, I am not a milk drinker, buy my Naturopathic Doctor said the best and healthiest milk for humans to consume are either goat's milk (because it is the closest to human milk) or almond milk.