Any time I have tried to take Prevacid I break out in hives. Since I am having an allergic reaction to Prevacid would I also then be allergic to Nexium also?

Hi 24,

Yes, there is a very good chance you'll be allerigic to Nexium as well. Both are called "proton pump inhibitors." They decrease the amount of acid made in the stomach.

Check with your doctor/pharmacist for an alternative.

Hello there,

You will have to talk to your doctor and I would suggest that you do additional testing because if you are allergic to these medications you are probably allergic to some others as well. This can be dangerous if you need urgent medical intervention and sometimes this information can either save or endanger your life.

Also, your doctor will provide you with the list of medications which you can use and which ones you should avoid. good luck with all this and keep us informed.