My problem has always been junk food (and eating a lot of it). I have somehow dealt successfully with the over weight, but I was left with GERD, for which I must use medications. Which one would you choose, Protonix or Nexium? I have heard that both are effective, I would like to start with the treatment as soon as possible.

And you are right. But, they are somewhat different. Protonix is used only for short term treatment of GERD symptoms. The therapy lasts for no more than 7 to ten days. And is meant for people who have problems with esophagus. As for Nexium, it is a proton pump inhibitor. And decreases the acid in stomach.

i have been taking Protonix for 4 years now and havent had a problem with GERD since. Protonix is also a proton pump inhibitor. i would be afraid to go a day without taking it. hope this helps you Ardra.