Hello. My friend took some syrup for coughing. It was codeine. Later, he established that he is allergic to codeine. I would like to know if this kind of allergy is the same as morphine allergy. I would really be grateful for this piece of info. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Hello. Codeine also belongs to opioids as well as morphine. In fact, their structure is quite similar. They belong to a subgroup called phenanthrenes. If one is allergic to some medications, they can get a drug from another group. You have phenylpiperidines – meperidine and phentanyl and pnehylheptanes – methadone and propxyphene. If your friend suspect to this, he should report it to his health care professional. I hope this helps. Good luck to your friend! Bye!

Well,
I think that this is the same things. People often confuse Codeine and Morphine allergy. I know that people often think that this is just an allergic problem but I think that this is more an side effect of this medication. I am not sure if the allergy is the correct term to explain this. Can you tell me more about your symptoms? Do you have any swelling or hives? I know that sweating and swelling are often the main symptoms of the problem with Codeine. You have to understand that there are other problems as well, like visual disturbance, and in severe cases even cardiac arrest. I hope that this helped in any way.

Good luck,
Karel