Howdy, guys. I have recently reacted strange to aspirin. After I took it, I got hives. I think a half an hour passed after taking it, when symptoms occurred. Later, I found out I got an allergy to this drug. I would like to know how common a true aspirin allergy is. I would be grateful for this answer. Bye!

Hello. I would say that aspirin allergy is not unusual thing. However, it is not common like penicillin allergy. It is present with 1% among healthy population. Of course, this percentage is higher among people with asthma. It is around 20%. If you look at asthma/sinus diseases/polyps population, this percentage is higher – 30%. The same number goes for people with ongoing hives. I hope you get the picture. Bye!

Hello there,

You are not the first person with this allergy and unfortunately it has become common allergy nowadays. If you have done testing you are lucky to be allergic only to aspirin. People who are sensitive to aspirin are usually sensitive to other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen and naproxen.

Symptoms of aspirin allergy can range from mild to severe. Same as in your case reaction occurs few hours after taking medication and it usually manifests like hives, coughing, wheezing or shortness of breath, itchy skin, runny nose, red eyes etc.

You must be aware that some other medications can consist of aspirin, so in the future you need to red labels and ingredients of the medications carefully.

Hi there, I to was wondering what the percentage was, as I have been allergic to aspirin since I was 19 years old, I am now 53. My late mother was also allergic. My symptoms were hives and my head swelled up like a large balloon. My doctors keep telling me that I can take Advil or Motrin. I am tired of fighting with them. I know that if I take it again I could die.Can we get the word out to doctors about this allergy and that it is very real.