Hi, has anybody heard of water allergy? My daughter was diagnosed with water allergy, as it turned out that her hives are due to allergy?

Hi, I have a friend who suffers from water allergy, but I am not sure how is she dealing with it now. She would get hives every time she was in contact with water, so she didn’t know how to bath, take a shower, and going to swimming pool was a dream to her. She has tried some therapy applied at Mayo clinic, although it is completely illogical. This procedure is to draw blood, and then re-injected it into the arm, there is no scientific explanation for the method. I know only that this procedure is called blood doping, and that it is not a conventional treating method.

I am 45 and have a water allergy. I get a terrable itch that is very painful, my Father, 67, also has the same condition. We have found that if we bath at night we able to stand the pain but before then there is no way. We both have been tested as Doctors said that it was the chemicals in the water but even distilled water causes the painful itch.

for the past few months when i get out the bath my skin goes red and itchy know its got to the point where its burning when i get out of the bath and very itchy i dont put any thing in the water no bubble bath nothin i have it mainly on my face across my back and shoulders and down my arms

If you get the rash from drinking water, you may be allergic to the sulfite in the bottle water. For years, I would break out in hives without knowing why. Finally, through trial and error, I found out it was sulfite . Bottle water may contain a huge amount of sulfite (often added as a flavor enhancer). Some brands contain a lot more sulfite than others, and I am now very careful about which brand of water to drink. My experience is that if I drink a 16 Fl Oz bottle that contains more than 5 parts per million in sulfite, I would get an allergic reaction. There is generally less sulfite in water (by volume) than in wine, but most people do not drink wine by the gallon. I found that Crystal Geysar and Aquafina have the lowest concentration of sulfite.

You may want to check out my non-profit website: AllergySulfiteInWater.com. I hope this is helpful to you.

S. Tang

I have been allergic to water on my skin since I was 18 years old. I am now almost 52 years old. It's not as bad as it used to be. I get hives. Huge blotches. The itching is relieved by applying regular hand lotion.
When it was real bad and lasted hours I took antihistamines.
The worst water for me is salt water, be it the swimming in the ocean or sweating.

Thankfully the allergy has eased off quite a bit. I still get hives but I don't itch near as bad when I bathe or swim in the pool. But over the years I have found that immediately applying lotion helps quite a bit.

I had a bad time with allergies, including water sensitivity, when I was a pre-teen. As an adult, I started suffering from severe bowel problems, which was accompanied by massive allergy reactions. I have been diagnosed with A-typical Mastocytosis. Unlike the rest of the human race, they can not find a single Mast Cell in my body.. which is what help control your whole immune system, including allergies. I now take several medications, multiple times a day, and still have a urine over-spill of more than 780 histamine.. (My allergist told me that is about 3x the trigger for anaphalptic shock.) To shower now, once a week when I am lucky, takes about 5-25 benedryl over that day. I can wash myself daily from the sink, where needed, with 3-10 benedryl. Strangely, when I went on vacation to South Carolina, I was able to swim in the ocean, with no extra medications or reactions. I have tried to simulate this at home with sea salts, to no avail. I also react to foods with a high water content (no more cabbage, *cries) and in drinking water of any kind.

I have had this problem for 20+ years. I have been to dermatologists & allergy specialists. I have been prescribed antihistamines, steroids, and even antidepressants over the years. The antihistamines & steroids help..but dont let a dermatologist give you anti-depressants for itching (too many side effects). I discovered the best treatment by accident..a water softener. It has reduced my symptoms drastically. I use a traditional salt based water softener. Any body out here have any experience with one of the magnetic softeners ? Since it doesnt really remove impurities in the water will it still work ? For me at least it seems I am allergic to whats in the water. 'Natural water' (ie:lake or river) affects me less than tap water, which in turn is much better than 'treated water' full of chemicals (ie: pools, spa).

All of you with allergies, have you heard of the Natural Allergy Elimination Technique (NAET)? I've done this to get rid of my severe allergies. Look into it, they have a website

hi my daughter is allergy to water she just had her first child and looks like he has it

Water urticaria, or aquagenic urticaria, is a rare condition in which hives develop within 1 to 15 minutes after contact with water. The hives last for 10 to 120 minutes and do not seem to be caused by histamine release like the other physical hives. Most investigators believe that this condition is actually exquisite skin sensitivity to additives in the water such as chlorine.

Diagnosis
Water urticaria is diagnosed by applying tap water and distilled water to the skin and observing the reaction.

Treatment
Water urticaria is treated with a cream called capsaicin (Zostrix) that is applied to the irritated skin. This is the same treatment used for shingles. Antihistamines are of questionable benefit since histamine is not the causative factor in water urticaria.

i can't find or get to the water list on your website. Can you help me

Yes, I have heard about it .But don't know exactly how it is caused. My friend also had the same allergy. She said that she had it because of the spa chemicals she used in the hot tub as the doctor diagnosed .So I recommended her to use only denver spa chemicals in the hot tub .Now she is using it in her hot tub, now she's relax.