Hi, I would like to talk to someone who can tell me honestly something about Altace. You see, my mother suffers from hypetension. Up until now, the doctor has tried to treat her condition with diet and physical activity. The results were not as expected and he decided to introduce a drug into her therapy. His choice is Altace. He says it will give best results. Do you think this is true?

Hi, Altace is a drug used to treat high blood pressure. It works by blocking an enzyme that affects the blood pressure in two ways. First of all, by inhibiting the ACE, this is the name of this enzyme, Altace helps the blood vessels to expand. Secondly Altace helps the excess water to be eliminated from the body, which also reduces blood pressure. So you can see that Altace may be a good therapy for your mother. I suppose you are having doubts about this medicine because the doctor didnt start with this kind of therapy when your mother was first diagnosed with hypertension. The fact is that doctors usually try to deal with high blood pressure by changing the life style changes, before they introduce drugs into therapy. That is why your mothers doctor tried with diet and exercises first. I have to agree with him when it comes to Altace. It is a good hypertension drug. It has very little side effects and they are not that serious. It also helps to prevent heart attack and other heart conditions. The only danger of Altace usage is the possible potassium levels rise. This may happen if a person uses Altace and potassium supplements together. If you have any more doubts, you should talk to your mothers doctor.