My husband used to take beta blockers to treat his high blood pressure. I don’t think he benefited much from these drugs because he was always tired and had problems with sleeping. His doctor put him on Quinapril now. I am interested what does this drug do to lower high blood pressure and what are the possibilities of my husband experiencing side effects again? Thank you

Quinapril belongs to a group of drugs called angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors-ACE inhibitors. Quinapril works by inhibiting the formation of angiotensin II, which contracts the muscles of the arteries in the heart and the rest of the body, narrowing the arteries and thereby elevating blood pressure. By inhibiting the formation of angiotensin II, the drug relaxes the arterial muscles and enlarges the arteries, increasing the blood and oxygen flow to the heart so that it work properly. Like with any high blood pressure drug, it is possible to experience side effects. This is why your husband should work closely with his doctor in order to find the right drug to manage his blood pressure.