Hi, my mother suffers from high blood pressure. Her doctor has tried various drugs, with little success. Now he has prescribed her with Bumex. He told her that this is a water pill. Now I am confused. How is a water pill like Bumex supposed to help my mother with her high blood pressure?

Hi, Bumex is a diuretic drug, commonly known as water pills. These drugs are used to eliminate excess water from the body. Despite your doubts, diuretics are used in treatment of hypertension very often. In fact, they are, in most of the cases, the first choice drugs for high blood pressure. To understand how is this possible you will have to understand how they work. When blood passes through kidneys, it gets rid of excess water and salt that are eliminated from the body in a form of urine. Sometimes, this excess water cannot be eliminated and this can have consequences, such as high blood pressure. Bumex helps this water to be eliminated and this way the blood volume is reduced. This results in lower blood pressure, since there is less volume to pressure the blood vessels. However, Bumex is a very potent diuretic and should be used exactly as the doctor prescribed. Some of the side effects include low levels of potassium and dehydration. I hope Bumex will prove to be the right drug for your mother.