My mother is diagnosed with serious hypertension so she needed some therapy. That was what her doctor told us. That is why he prescribed her some drug called thiazide. I have never heard for this, so I am worried a little bit. Can you tell me more about this kind of drugs from thiazide groups?

Thiazides are diuretics, which are class of drug that promote water loss from the body. Their function is to inhibit Na+/Cl- reabsorption from the distal convoluted tubules in kidneys. Thiazides also cause loss of potassium and an increase in serum uric acid because of its therapy. The chemical structure of the original thiazide diuretics contained a thiazide ring system. This term is also used for drugs with a similar action that are not chemically thiazides, such as chlortalidone. It is common that Thiazides are often used to treat hypertension. They have been shown to prevent hypertension-related morbidity and mortality although the mechanism of Thiazides is not fully understood. They may cause vasodilation by inhibiting calcium release induced by norepinephrine, that both result with improving conditions as your mother has. Side effects of Thiazides can include hypokalemia, increased serum cholesterol, and impotence, and this lower blood pressure but cause hyperkalemia as a side effect. Important is that Thiazide diuretics are available only with your doctor's prescription.