My mother has got some new drug called Lisinopril. When she bought it I wanted to know if that was her doctor’s choice. It surprised me very much because I read there are so many side effects this drug is causing. I found there common symptoms cough, dizziness, headache, excessive tiredness, upset stomach, diarrhea, weakness and much more. Could you tell me now more about Lisinopril, could it be good drug despite to all these side effects?

It is true that some side effects of Lisinopril can be serious. Some of symptoms are uncommon, but if your mother experiences any of them, she should call her doctor immediately. Those serious side effects are swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs, hoarseness or difficulty breathing or swallowing.
Fever, sore throat, chills, and other signs of infection are signs that should be reported to the doctor. However, you should know every drug has specific side effects, and you will never find perfect one. Lisinopril is commonly used alone or in combination with other medications to treat high blood pressure. It is used in combination with other medications to treat heart failure as well, so this should not worry you so much. Lisinopril comes as a tablet to take by mouth, and it is usually taken once a day. Your mother should simply follow the directions on prescription label. The same as with any medicine it is important to ask doctor or pharmacist to explain any part of Lisinopril usage you do not understand.

Lisinopril is used to treat heart failure and to lower high blood pressure. It belongs to class of drugs called ACE inhibitors. ACE is an enzyme in blood stream that causes HBP. When human organism stops to be able to control blood pressure by itself, drugs are necessary to help it. Among the other HBP drugs, lisinopril is one with fewer side effects. It is important to use alcohol cautiously when taking lisinopril. It is also recommended not to use potassium supplements while taking this drug. High blood pressure therapy may prevent brain, kidney and some other tissue damages.