I am diagnosed with high blood pressure, that my doctor called it hypertension. He prescribed me some drug, saying it must help. However, I have many friends with the same problem, and none of them ever used Lisinopril to treat hypertension. I am worried if my doctor made some mistake prescribing me this drug. Can you tell me more about Lisinopril and should I be worried because of this.

There is no need to worry, because Lisinopril is commonly indicated for the treatment of hypertension. It may be used alone as initial therapy or concomitantly with some other classes of antihypertensive agents. Lisinopril is indicated as adjunctive therapy in the management of heart failure beside hypertension. This is especially recommended in patients who are not responding adequately to diuretics and digitalis. Furthermore, Lisinopril is indicated for the treatment of hemodynamically stable patients within 24 hours of acute myocardial infarction, to improve their survival. This group of patients should receive the standard recommended treatments such as thrombolytics, aspirin and beta-blockers together with Lisinopril. It should be noted that black patients receiving ACE inhibitors such as Lisinopril have been reported to have a higher incidence of angioedema compared to non-blacks patients. Lisinopril is contraindicated in patients who are hypersensitive to this product and in patients with a history of angioedema related to previous treatment with an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor. Excessive hypotension is rare in patients with uncomplicated hypertension treated with Lisinopril alone. As you can see, there is absolutely no need to be worried because this medicine is definitely indicated in your case.