My doctor want to prescribe me amitrptyline, he thinks I am a little depressed along with my insomnia, and believes it is a good antidepressant and sedative too. Has anybody tried it and what are benefits and side effects of it?

Hi, I have been using amitriptyline for 3 month now. Amitriptyline is an antidepressant with sedative effects, so it could be used in your case. Sedative effect is obvious at the beginning. Antidepressant effect and a relief from depression is expected after about a month of usage. I take it at bedtime, preferably always in same time and doctor has increased me the dosage after some time, because they follow patients reaction. Side effects by me are: constipation, urinary retention, dry mouth, blurred vision, libido changes, once I felt confusion and dizziness, but I’m not sure if it was caused by drug. Many other adverse reactions are possible, but in that case doctor will change the therapy.