Hi, I have problems urinating and the problem is urine retention due to bladder spasm. I feel sometimes like my bladder will explode. I take some pain killers to control pain, but urine retention makes me worry. What can be done concerning this condition?

Hi, I had bladder spasm when I had interstitial cystitis. Interstitial cystitis is a long-term inflammatory condition in of the bladder. There is a mucous layer that lines and protects the inside bladder wall, which is believed to be damaged in interstitial cystitis. Toxins present in urine can irritate and inflame the bladder wall causing bladder pain. Pain and pressure in the bladder are the most obvious signs of the disease. Other sign include not having bladder control, as a need to urinate too often. Also, poor urinary flow and pain on bladder filling can be noticed. It can come and go or occur suddenly, and if you don’t do anything about it things can get worse.

Hi, my 5 yr. old daughter has Spina Bifida, and due to this severe disorder she has incontinence. She has been prescribed with Ditropan twice a day, for about 1 year. So, she was advised to take Detrol. She has experienced common side effect such as dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation, a faster heartbeat, so she decreased dosage and finally stopped taking it. Later we discovered patch delivery system Oxytrol, which caused side effects in much smaller degree. Now, there are also Ditropan XL and Detrol LA, formulations that deliver a low level of the drug over time in the body.