I have been going through almost the exact same thing. Mine started a little over a year ago with a work related injury. They found a small crack in my clavicle and a few bulged disks in my neck. However, I have been experiencing increasingly bad pain in the area between my left shoulder blade and my spine. Usually it is a dull burning, but sometimes it gets so intense that it almost brings me to tears. I have had almost every test imaginable. MRI's, CT scans. PT, TENS unit, injections. You name it. Nothing helps. Recently my doctor sent me to the pain clinic and put me on oxycodone, which doesn't help. To best describe the pain, it is like a burning stabbing sensation. It doesn't pulsate or anything like that. Constant. In the mornings, I wake up with both of my arms and hands asleep and sometimes intense pain in my left hand.
This not only effects my life, but my work and home life as well. My wife is getting frustrated that they cant find anything on the scans and don't have a diagnosis on why I hurt so bad.
I truly hate being on the pain meds. They don't help the pain, but numb my senses so I don't care as much, but I know they are hurting my body.
If anyone has any information on anything like this, and has a possible treatment or even a possible diagnosis, please let me know.
I am so sick of hurting. I can't do it much longer.

I've had that exact same pain for almost 20 years. It's just to the right of my left shoulder blade, runs down below and towards my side, it also runs from the right side of my shoulder blade upwards slightly. It hurts when I take deep breaths, I can't lay on my right side cause the left side cramps so tight it feels like I'm in a vice. I'm using TENS units to ease the pain and they only help for an hour or two. Oxycodone, or percocet barely cut the pain, but can make it bearable. I had an MRI recently thinking this and other symptoms might be related to MS, but nope. I haven't found a way to feel better yet that's consistent enough that I'd tell anyone it works. Some days I get lucky and the pain is low. I'm tempted to have the doctor do an exploratory surgery and clear out any scar tissue if they find any. For years I related to pain to some broken ribs that got infected when they were healing, and maybe scar tissue grew, but the bones are healed, and no signs of scar tissue. Several web sites only discuss problems, no solutions. I feel your desperation, I live it too. TENS units can help on days when it's not too bad, and drugs make it easier to sleep, for me anyway. Someone please post a solution.

I just read your story and I can definitely relate to yours. Last year June 3rd 2009 a floor buffer fell out of a truck and hit me in the chest I was in terrible pain so I went to the doctor and he had a catscan done on me and the results said that I fractured my left clavical and three ribs below it close to my sternum. Three months passed and the pain stayed the same so they did another catscan and this time the catscan showed that the fractures were healed but my clavical was displaced where it connects to my sternum. My wife is in the military and we just recently got re stationed in Alaska and my new doctor here on base is on of the best in the millitary but doesnt think their is a surgery to realine my clavical. He referred me to a painclinic also and they have done over thirty injections in my sternum the ribs next to it and in the joints where my clavical connects to my sternum. This was the worst procedure I could have ever had done. Now my sternum pops out and cracks if I move the wrong way and the pain after from it is fifty times worse from before the injections . Just like you im on oxy tens and hydrocodone 7.5s they help me deal with the pain somewhat but they arnt that helpfull. Ever since I started taking the oxys ive been having pains in my upper spine and in the lower tip of my left shoulderblade and sometimes in my lower tip of my right shoulderblade but mostly in my left one. Im affraid of it being lung cancer because I smoked for about eight years but just recently quit. After reading your story im wondering if its not the oxys that cause these spine and lower shoulderblade pains. I was in the Army about eight years ago and had some testing done on me and wonder if this all could be some how linked together also. Where you every in the military and have you ever found a solution to your problems? My life has also been hard sense my injury. Im going to school for forensic science and when I graduate im required to carry a gun and if I cant get this fixed I will not be able to use my degree because you cant carry a gun on pain medication. Hang in there. There has to be a way to fix this if you already found a surgery or something please let me know. If not the military is working with me to get this fixed and when they figure out a way to fix this I will repost the surgery or procedure.

I have found that some deep tissue massage by a licensed and skilled CMT, physical therapy to identify and teach how to strengthen the muscles around the areas that have a tendency to go out of place, nerve glide exercises, regular chiropractic care, staying hydrated and laughing everyday

I have pain between my left shoulder blade and my spine since I was 12. I am now 26. It hasn't been everyday for all those years but recently it has been really bothering me and very much ever present. I will be back to the Dr. tomorrow. I am really hoping he can figure out what the problem is. Nothing has come of my visits in the past, but one can still hope, right? Been on pain meds is not really something I want to be on. Especially if they aren't actually going to take the pain away. Over-the-counter meds have stopped working for me. It used to be that every breath I took I would feel it. Litterally took my breath away on numerous occassions. Lifting either arm is often next to impossible. Laying flat on my back never happens, either. Anyways, it's good to know that I'm not alone in this. Fingers crossed for actual results and solutions to this problem! Good luck to everyone else with this issue as well!

i have read all the replies i am having the same pain in my shoulder blade and spine. it gets so serious i can barely move at times. my breathe becomes short at times, i can feel it in my chest around my breast area and i also have some numbness in my right arm when it gets bad this is persistant for the last 3 yrs can some please help me and let me know what to do cause the doctors dont find anything wrong!

I have had a very harp paint between my right shoulder blade and my spine for about 16 weeks it seems to get even worse when i move my head to the right.  i have tryied massages and doctors anyone have the same.  it does not hurt to move my right arm at all.

geo

I had the same about 2 years ago and it was so bad i couldn't breath properly - had to have emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder! Attacks can come at anytime and become more frequent with fatty food intake... I'd get it checked with your Doctor as i wouldn't wish that pain on anyone!!

I don't know if this will help in your case, but you might want to check with your doctor about whether it's safe to do rowing and... what I've heard called reverse fly exercises.

Sometimes the kind of pain I think you might be describing can result from weakness in the muscles that hold the point of the scapula close enough to the back. Pain results from the constant stretching of the weak muscles.

These two exercises, along with periodic massage, took me from having a great deal of pain in the area, to almost NO pain. It was just a matter of having faith for a few weeks while I built up sufficient strength in the area! I find I need to maintain this strength through consistent use of light dumbbells, but the relief is very much worth it :)

Again, check with your doctor or other qualified medical practitioner first to make sure that such exercises are safe in your case!

I too have had tremendous pain in the mid of my back that radiates under the left shoulder blade down to my ribs. I have had it for almost 2 years. I had pretty consistent physical therapy which helped but didn't take the pain away. The most recent MRI suggested a bone spur in my cervical spine. I am 34 and really don't want to deal with backsurgery but there may not be another option. For now I stretch and try to get massages when possible and it helps to take the sharpness of the pain away. Good luck to all dealing with this horrible and chronic pain!

I understand where you are coming from ,,I have had the same pain for almost ten years now. There are times that if I use my right arm too much,, I will awake with the numb swollen feeling in my hand and on severe occasions, it will feel like my arm and hand are on fire until I get up and move my arm and shoulder. However be happy that they did test on you and offered you some relief with the pain managment. I dont have insurance and haven't for sometime, and everytime I try to go to the doctor or ER,, I end up with the same response "tense muscle,,try a massage" lol,, This pain has been in the same location for ten years,,do they seriously think I have never considered a massage. You gotta love doctors,,no money no cure!

Dear sir, I to have the same problem. It feels a great deal like someone is putting their cigarette out between my shoulder blades. I'm sorry to hear that they haven't found anything, I to need an answer. Get off the med's if they don't work

Guys anybody still suffering from this pain please consult a physiotherapist/ physical therapist soon. Your problem has a solution. Taking pain relieving medicines will definitely not help. Regular exercise & proper care taking of all your muscles & joints is the only best solution. A physical therapist specializing in ortho or OMT (Orthopedic Manual Therapy) is the best person to help out of this pain. Tc

Acupuncture IS hour best choice

I know this is a bit late, but I too suffer from this exact same problem. It has put me in the emergency room three or four times thinking I was having a heart attack. I have also developed panic due to this ailment. No doctor has truly been able to explain what is going on or actually help me. All I know is that I have Cervical Radiculopathy at C6/C7. Some disc bulging at C4/C5 and Degenerative Disc Disease. I have been assured that my cord is fine.

I am just recovering from my last episode after I made the stupid mistake of trying to show my son how to swing on the monkey bars.

Yes, I know that spot! Right of the left Scapula! I