This post is an extension of the

Post cervical spine surgery pain thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I'm a 45 year old male that is a little over 6 months post surgery for a dual micro-diskectomy on C-5 through C-7 replaced with cadaver bone and fusion with titanium plate and screws., additionally, they did a right hand carpul tunnel surgery, that I didn't paticularly want, but they said it was necessary. I was in a hard collar 24/7 for 8 weeks, and my insurance company WC refused my physical therapy... To be fair, the horrible pain that started in my right trap on April 10th of '07 is gone, and now it is sore there and my movement is diminished in my right arm by about 1/2, and the electrical shocks that started after the spinal surgery in my right arm is all but gone, but replaced with pain and weakness that has made my leading a "normal" life impossible. I have been refused pain medication because the WC company doesn't think I need it, and whenever I tell any physician about my pain, they start looking nervous and tell me I'm addicted to the meds! It has gotten to the point that I have went to PA, and NA, and the 12 step program, to help with the dependency, but when I don't take enough pain medication, I'm confined to my bed where I lay and pray for the slightest relief for hours, and when I have had no pain meds, I've gone for 9 days without being able to get out of bed, except to go to the bathroom, not sleeping for more that 20-45 minutes every 10 to 12 hours, until I become depressed and don't want to even be around anyone. I pray I get better, and I hope that if the pain doesn't get better, that at least I can find a doctor that will help me...

Jenny:

You probably don't read this post any longer, but yours was the latest one posted and I will love to talk to others who have had this type of surgery.  You situation seemed close to mine and I am going in on June 13, 2011 and I am scared to death about the pain afterwards.  I hope you are better since your last posting.

Hello Jenny

I had surgery in july2011 as well, at just over 6 and half weeks the surgery went well. The pain was not so easy to control at times.

I has c6=c7 fusion with no plates. I did not have to wear a collar and was sent home with the instructions of take the pain killers and your body will let yoy know when you are ready to try to get back to normal!!

Well I too had trhe pain in my neck, shoulder and left arm all the past 2 weeks, I took the pain relief but it did not do a lot of good. Only the last 2 days has the pain subsided.

I am not doing a lot of house work and no lifting as I get a strange feeling when I bend down and feel I need to support my head.

I would be pleased to hear from you to see how you are getting on .

Hi All,

My mum is 82 years old lady and doctor from Singapore persuaded us to go ahead for op which he did cervical anterior fusion surgery to C5 & 6, at the beginning of 1st week seems all symptoms of pain at knee, numbness at the arms were gone. Now reach to 1 and half months, she is suffering of pain at the neck and shoulder, tightness of chest, difficulty in breathing, loss of appetite, tiredness all the time, etc.. She felt so frustrated for suffering those after doctor said her condition will be improved after surgery. She is depressed and she even talked about going to end her life. We are trying to comfort her and only now then she is using Volteran painkiller suppository and hoping for better condition. But after reading those forum, I think the chance for her to become better is very slim. Why doctor is not telling the truth? Money?? Some more, the nerve will not be recovered for 82 yrs old patient, right? I feel very guilty myself asking her to go ahead for surgery. Very sad!!

Mya

Hello Mya,

I am sorry to hear about your mother, I have since gone back to my doctor as the pain remains and he has drawn a blank so is sending me back to the hospitial to see my consultant this week.

I will let you know the out come of the visit as it may help your mother.

Alison

I had an anterior fusion of  C6-7 with donor bone and a mystic plate (it is reaborsed by the body in 12 months) on 12/12/11.  I have lost my voice and have difficulty swallowing even at 3 weeks post op.  My pain has become MUCH worse. I was not taking any pain meds before the surgery, but now I NEED them to keep going.  I don't take anything but Tylenol, because they took the only thing I could take for pain off the market (Darvocet).

I go for xray in 2 weeks.

Has anyone lost their voice?