I underwent anterior cervical spine surgery C-5, C-6, C-7 after breaking my neck from a fall; replacing C-6 with my own bone graft from my hip.

It has been 18 months since the surgery and I get pain (an 8 from a 1-10 scale) between my shoulder blades in my upper back which feels like it is below where my neck broke.

To try and ease the pain I squeeze my back muscles as hard as I can, slowly bend every which way (mainly backwards) and stretch for the sky with my arms above my head to elongate my spine to temporarily relieve my pain.

When I do these things my spine pops, cracks, and sometimes sounds like my vertebrae slides or slightly grinds back into place making me feel better temporarily.

In my 6 month follow up, the surgeon said everything looks great from the x-rays that were taken. I didn't get to mention any of this to him because I wasn't having these problems until about 12 months after surgery.

What could all of these sounds/pains be? Should I be worried? Do you think exercise like pull ups/ back exercises would solve this? Any other advice you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time!

It's hard to say what the problem actually is. I know that the spinal column cannot actually move beyond just the bit of popping that you can make it do (sort of like you do with cracking your knuckles) so it doesn't sound like you're doing any damage to yourself or anything. I think that it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor about it because the pain does not sound like a normal thing and you sound like you potentially have a nerve pinch. Does that sound accurate? Please let us know.

I did a little bit of research on a nerve pinch and it definetly is a possibility. I'm taking the recommendations I've been receiving and seeing my doctor. I will keep you posted on what they have to say. Thanks.

I'm glad to hear that your research has yielded some results. I think it's great that you're taking everyone's recommendation because it could get worse or at least not improve, so it's good that you're seeing your doctor. Some of your problem with this issue actually helped me to advise someone else on the forum and I think they're doing the same thing as you, so thanks for your insight. Keep us posted!