My husband has been prescribed Atenolol for his high blood pressure. He has been complaining for the last couple of days about abdominal pain. I suspect that this could be side effect of the Atenelol. I advised him to lower the dose. Please tell me what the side effects of this drug are.

Atenolol is well tolerated by the majority of patients, so side effects are mild and transient. Rare side effects are: abdominal cramps, diarrhea, constipation, fatigue, insomnia, nausea, depression, dreaming, memory loss, fever, impotence, lightheadedness, slow heart rate, low blood pressure, numbness, tingling, cold extremities, sore throat, and shortness of breath or wheezing. Please advise your husband to seek professional help not to lower the dose, I am sure that doctor prescribed appropriate dose for his condition.