I am having hard time dealing with my mother's mental condition. She has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and even with the help of medications, I am thinking about hospitalization. I work long hours and I am not sure if I can take care of her as I should. Tell me something, can sleeping problems point to depression phase of bipolar disorder? This is a new symptom, something she did not experience before...

Sleeping issue is just one of the several symptoms included in the bipolar disorder behavior. And it can be the part of the manic phase too. Usually, the two phases included in this problem are manic and depressive. Each of them has its manifestations, but I can freely say that I would worry more about the depressive one, because of the suicidal thought that might show up, if depression is serious.