Hello! I need some info about bipolar disorder and hallucination for my 24 years old daughter has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder almost 2 years ago but among this mood changes she suffers from some other psychotic problems such as delusions and hallucinations. All this time she is on some antidepressants daily but is also taking some mood –stabilizing meds such as Lithium and Tagretol taking them alternately but I think this treatment is not good enough for I am positive she could be suffering actually from some combination of bipolar disorder and hallucination condition-so does anybody knows what could be this condition and do I need to help her in some other way.

Sometimes it happens that whenever comes to the mood changes in patients with bipolar disorder that they also are dealing with some serious psychotic symptoms such as delusions and hallucination which actually makes part of schizophrenia condition so I advice you consider the possibility of involving also some antipsychotic meds-as the main part of your daughters bipolar disorders-such as Haldol or Zyprexa. Further more I advice also some therapy in sense of providing her support and some effective education therapy about the illness she has for it is proved this sort of therapy could be very effective treatment in patients dealing with bipolar disorder accompanied with serious psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations.

I was also on lithium and am currently on tegretol because i found that the lithium actually caused me the strange hallucinations and anxiety

I am 'Ultridian cycling bipolar' with an Anxieity disorder as well.
I take 1800mg of Lithium per day, and 900mg Tegratol per day.
I use Clonazepam as needed. Usually 6 0.5mg tablets per day.
Recently (in the past week) I have had four hallucinations. I am seeing objects, and can hear them move.
Is this normal? I've NEVER had hallucinations before.

Scared and very alone,
31 year old guy

Hi, I have only known a couple people with Bipolar Disorder, one of which was taken by the disease three weeks ago. He was not on his meds, suffered from a very quick depressed to manic episode and killed himself, after he did some very risky things. The other was my grandfather, however, his did not manifest until he was in his 60s, but got so bad that he had delusions/hallucinations and had to be taken to the VA mental hospital. He was seeing people outside his house and thought that they were there to get him. His got really bad because he wasn't on meds. I have read that the manic episodes can consist of hallucinations and/or delusions, possibly though, could be a side effect from one of the drugs you are on. Maybe they just need to adjust your doses.

I hope, with the help of your doc, you can figure it out. Keep us posted

If you were to research bpd more extensively, you would find that many symptoms of schizophrenia are the same as those exhibited by people with bipolar, mostly in manic phases. I mysalf am 20, and been diagnosed for two years. In the midst of a manic episode (hence why I can't sleep at two in the morning), and as such, I'm suffering from severe auditory and visual hallucinations. I'm hearing all sorts of gibberrish and seeing shadows of ghouls and demons crrawling across the wall. The only way I could tell they weren't real was by putting my hand near thee shadows and not seeing my own shadow cast (so the light I was seeing didn't even exist). This is a frightening, and utterly destructive disease, and I don't wish it upon anyone. I believe your daughter may just have a severe case such as mine... now ill go take one more dose of my anntipsychotic and hope the hallucinations at least slow down...

From personal experience I have found that pschotropic medications INCREASE hallucinations. Findinga balance between medications is the most difficult thing to accomplish.I have been struggling for 2 years. I am also a 24 yearold female and from a personal recomendation I would attempt to take the minimum amount of meds. The side effects are unbearable and even when a patient finds the right combonation to balance the extreme highs and lows, your body will adjust and you have to revaluate and start the process all over again. Taking the minimum amount of meds and using a holistic approach is the best way to get the disorder under control. Please contactme if you need more advice. Best of luck!

Seroquel is excellent at treating hallucinations in Bipolar patients. It, for the most part, completely ended the problem for me. I take between 400 - 600 mg each night.

I suffer from schizoaffective disorder. This is a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar. When I am ill, I suffer from hallucinations/delusions (schizophrenia) and either mania or depressions (bipolar).

I take large amounts of meds but have only a couple of side effects (worst is I gain weight really easily so I exercise a LOT). lithium, seroquel and loxapine.

I had a stay in an institution to find this set of meds.

It was the best thing that could have happened to me!

Good luck to you and your daughter.