I knew my husband’s mother had bipolar disorder when I met him. I have noticed her strange acting and I found out that was manic depression. I wasn’t much upset with that fact then. Now we have daughter and I am worry if she could get the same disorder. I would like to know what actually bipolar disorder is and is it hereditary.

Bipolar disorder stems from a chemical imbalance in the brain that affects the way how we will experience out moods. Bipolar disorder affects both men and women equally. These people are not “crazy” or “weak”, but they are everyday people with a real medical condition trying to get back to their everyday lives. Symptoms may appear as early as age 5 and more typically is around the age of 20. Symptoms may also become more evident during later life between ages of 40 and 50. Symptoms of bipolar disorder often appear for the first time during or around big life changes that can trigger a mood episode. For example graduating from college and joining the workforce or the death of a spouse. 40 percent adults believe it is hereditary, and the majority identified illness as genetic. Martha Hellander said that bipolar disorder is hereditary illness and the belief that it is caused by bad parenting. Off course that leads to the stigmatization of children and families. Most affected children are genetically predisposed to bipolar disorder and often develop symptoms without any observable triggers.

if bi-polar disorder is hereditary, then it would be impossible for it to be caused by bad parenting. Anyone making such a statement is not very well informed about the disorder. I would get my info from another source..

well to start i myself am bipolar and i am only 15 and i am not "crazy"
my father is also bipolar... but he is also a manic depressant not maniac as the previous message incorrectly stated
the doctors told me that there was no definite cause
i was born normal and healthy and i like to think of myself as still being normal and healthy. i have split personalities i even have gone as far as to name this otherbeing that i feel dwells within me. they are the two people that make up an argument kind of like the angel and the devil on the shoulders in cartoons. instead of them physically viewable... they are inside and they argue. PEOPLE WITH BIPOLAR DISORDER GO ON TO LIVE NORMAL LIVES. they arent the type who get sent to mental institutions they just have a little difficulty realizing that one of the two of them doesnt really exist... if anyone ever tells you that "crazy" people dont know that theyre "crazy" they obviously have never met a bipolar

as far as hereditary goes i am not sure... but like i said my dad is and i am and his father was and his fathers father was and my fathers uncle was and my older brother is but somehow my little brother seems to be perfectly normal?????? in my family only the males are bipolar but that does not mean that my sister wont develop bipolar tendencies at an older age but for now shes normal

i have a question though that i have not been able to get a straight answer out of anyone for...
with me being bipolar and my girlfriend is bipolar does that elevate our chances of having mentally unstable or chemically imbalance children
there is no signs of it in her genes exempting herself
?????

I am responding to the the statement about bi-polar and bad parenting. NO, it is NOT impossible for bi-polar to be caused by bad parenting. It sounds to me like you are a parent of someone with bi-polar so, maybe YOU aren't very well informed about the disorder. Bi-polar may be genetic or partly genetic but there are other contributing factors such as BAD PARENTING, social experiences,etc.... One person who may have a genetic predisposition of getting the disease might be fine and lead a normal life but, if they had bad parents or parents who mistreated them, that is the gateway to the disorder. It may not be the only gateway and the disease, without bad parents, might arise at another time but, growing up with parents who are unloving, not supportive, and hurtful will most definately cause and aggravate the condition. I promise you, THAT information, from this source, IS VERY ACCURATE!

studies show that children of parents with bipolar disorder are 4% to 15% more likely to have bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder is a chemical imbalance that may be brought out by stress, but is cause by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Bipolar disorder is not caused by anything external to the body. end of story.

The genetic link doesn’t mean that one bipolar parent or even two will necessarily produce a bipolar child. Other factors, including stressful life events, abrupt changes in sleep patterns, and chronic medical illnesses, can contribute to a person’s risk.
Studies report rates of bipolar disorder between 4% and 15% in children with one bipolar parent, compared to 0% to 2% in the offspring of parents who don't have the disorder. And if both parents are bipolar, rather than just one, a child is about 3.5 times more likely to develop the condition.
While the chances of some children having bipolar disorder are heightened by genetic factors, there are ways of treating the illness. Ronald R. Fieve, MD, a psychopharmacologist in private practice in New York City, notes that medications have revolutionized the lives of people living with bipolar disorder and provided successful treatments.
In order to mitigate the onset of bipolar disorder in any at-risk child, however, Dr. Fieve says that general health is very important: normal sleep patterns, a healthy diet, regular exercise, and the avoidance of drugs and alcohol. Sleep deprivation or major life stresses can precipitate the onset of a manic or depressive episode.

Information got from

Like stated before bipolar is a chemical inbalance in the brain, it can be leveled out by medication but be careful about meds becasue some meds work for some people and not others and some meds can make episodes worse, it can be a long trial and error but can be worth it. Bipolar disorder is manic depression. There are "highs- manic episodes" and "lows- depression episodes" and it can change in a matter of minutes for bad cases. Someone with bipolar could be super happy, super mad or super sad. I dont want to scare you but suicide is definatly something you should watch for in teens and adults with this disorder. Im not saying everyone that has it will think about, attempt or commit suicide, many live normal lives but be safe. Im not sure what the main cause it but bad parenting is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.
Im 20, and was told i had it at 17 when i ended up in a mental hospital for suicidal thoughts. My fiance is 21 and was diagnoised at 15 when he attempted suicide. This is why i think its important that you know to look for it. I am now 5 months pregnant and worry that my child will get it but only time will tell. I dont think you should not have kids becasue they could be at risk of getting the illness, just prepare yourself incase so that if its thrown at you, you know how to handle it.
Hope this helps.

anonymous wrote:

your stupid, because child abuse can f**k with someone's brain and make the chemical imbalancement take place.

Please, if you're going to post statistics, post your source.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry?!  BAD PARENTING - the CAUSE of Bipolar Disorder?!  You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME?!  I don't even have a response... my jaw is still on the floor, and words fail me. COME ON!!!!!!!! 

i have a cousin with bi polar and at times i think i have it can it be possible that she can pass it down to me in anyways???

I find it very interesting that this Martha Hellander woman would say that it is only genetic. I, myself, have Bipolar Disorder (w/ psychotic features) and it has never been in my family until I came along. My psychiatrist (who has a Ph.D. in psychology!) said it is not jusy genetic and that in my case, it is environmental, which means that it came about and started when I was 4 years old from the abuse that I suffered from that point on. My therapist totally agreed with him, saying that it was when my brain stopped developing normally and finally peaked at onset when I was 21 years old when I had a psychotic breakdown.

Guest wrote:

?????

I would be slightly, ok, very concerned for people around you if you are naming your alter egos....I find that to be quite a troubling situation for you.

henka wrote:

bipolar disorder is when people change their moods every 10 minutes this disease is not hereditary and if so it shouldn't matter because she is still your daughter

markoz mommy wrote:

no it cannot because she is your cousin now if its first cousins then its probably a different story but for the most part i think you'll be fine