Hi!

I'm looking for some help if that's OK! Are there any people with generalized anxiety disorder and anxiety attacks here, or spouses perhaps, who have experience with homeopathic remedies? I am looking for information about what the best homeopathic treatments are to help improve symptoms in general and hopefully ones that can stop anxiety attacks in their tracks as well. I have heard of Bach flower remedies which I know are not quite homeopathic but follow a similar principle. I am interested in those as well as true homeopathic treatments.

What has helped you most? And how much has it helped you?

I thought that homeopathy was thoroughly debunked? Homeopathy remedies, for anxiety or anything else under the sun, are basically a lot of nothing diluted in water and more water. I guess they could possibly offer a touch of the placebo effect, but that would be as far as it goes. 

Now there's other things, St Johns wort for example, that do have some evidence behind them. If I remember correctly exercise and art therapy work as well, backed up by science and all that. So what I would do is ask a qualified professional what natural treatments may work for your general anxiety disorder. 

I totally agree! I don't know why people are still going on about homeopathy. I guess it makes them feel safe, because it is "completely natural", and when you go to a homeopath they seem to check the person out systemically as a whole body thing, which appeals to some people.

The only problem with all of that is that it just does not work. As you say, yes, some people will feel better when they think they are taking something that will make them better (placebo effect), but if you are dealing with serious anxiety that will only go so far.

Celebrity

Hey,

One thing that bears saying is that homeopathic and natural remedies are not synonyms. I am not opposed to trying homeopathy, but if you are suffering from panic attacks, you are at a stage where you would benefit from help right away and evidence based medicine does matter.

There are natural treatments that do help. St Johns Wort and Valerian are both evidence based treatments for depression and anxiety alike, and I have also even heard that Omega 3 fatty acids can help. Some ayurvedic medications and traditional Chinese medicine preparations can also help you, though I forget their names now. (If you say you are interested I will do some digging.)

Rosie

Why do people turn to natural remedies for anxiety and depression? I think the main reason is that people are afraid of the side effects of antidepressant medications, which is fair enough, though they are truly needed in some instances.

So, if your main goal is to avoid antidepressants for now, why limit yourself to homeopathic remedies? There is much more under the sun!

I am not talking only about St John's wort and things like that which were already mentioned, but also exercise, light therapy, dance therapy, creative therapy, and even, you know, standard psychotherapy as a stand alone without the antidepressants.

When there's so much around that actually does work in a large group of people, there's just no need to seek remedies that have no scientific basis to them!

Well, personally I have never used any medication or even natural medication for anxiety, because I am not anxious. But I used to have a friend that I have lost touch with unfortunately, and she used to suffer from severe anxiety and depression. I remember looking on the internet for natural remedies or herbal remedies for her.

I did order her a bottle of St John's Wort capsules although I am a bit of a skeptic. But when I bought them she didn't dare take them because she was on allopathic medication too. But reading all about it, it sounded quite good.

Homeopathy is something I really don't believe in myself. You can dilute something so much that it isn't there any more, but then it doesn't work either. So homeopathy... no.

A friend of mine swears by Bach flower remedies. There's all kinds of different ones for different mental state and her husband and her are both using different ones. I have not tried because I don't feel I need them (I'm an optimistic and happy person) but if I needed them, I would definitely try. There are many people who swear by them so whether it is backed up by studies or not they must be doing something right.

Of course if herbal/homeopathic anxiety remedies are not enough, it is good that allopathic antidepressants exist as well. That is what they are there for, for people who cannot get better without them.

Hello!

Some homeopathic remedies that may help with milder anxiety are:

* Aconite Napellus. This is especially good for immediate events such as anxiety attacks or after an accident or difficult life event.

* Arsenicum album. This is good for worriers who have difficulty falling asleep at night, to induce a feeling of safety.

* Argentum nitricum. Good for people who feel anxious in big crowds and are prone to worrying about worst case scenarios.

* Kali phosphoricum. This is suitable for people who fear they may be suffering from a nervous breakdown. It will help calm their stage fright and worries about burnout.

Hope that helps!

You know, there were some studies that looked into Bach flower remedies and they were shown to be no more effective than a placebo. That doesn't mean a placebo does nothing of course. (And then you get into the whole "does it still work if you know it's a placebo" thing - I'm not sure about that but I know I'd prefer a proven treatment over a placebo for sure!)

Anyway, the question is, if you insist on herbal or natural treatments for anxiety, and there are herbal remedies that have been proven to be effective in some people, then why opt for the treatments that have been shown not to work, on the off chance that they make you personally feel better?

Celebrity

I firmly believe that although it is always good to be aware of the latest scientific updates and it is certainly crucial to be informed enough to avoid outright dangerous treatments, which certainly exist in the world of natural medicine, there is more to life than what scientific studies are able to capture.

I personally have much more faith in St Johns Wort, valerian root, and passion flower as well, because I have been reading up on this. (And I have personally tried valerian with mild but positive effects; it was just what I needed.) I mean to say... medical marijuana, which is a plant, is more and more suggested as a treatment for many things ranging from anxiety to post traumatic stress disorder and pain from multiple sclerosis. If that can work, and if people can promote that even though studies cannot really confirm its long term effects yet, then why not something like Bach flower remedies and homeopathy?

If it makes you personally feel better, then it works for you, regardless of how. I would not try homeopathy myself because I do not believe in it, but Bach flower remedies have a much higher concentration of the therapeutic herbs and flowers than does homeopathy. And herbal medicine definitely works. Not everything, but some things. It is used in mainstream medicine all the time in some form or another.

Rosie