My uncle was diagnosed with bipolar disorder one week ago. We were all surprised by it because he always seemed to be healthy. He is 42 years old. I would like to know more about this disorder. What to expect and how to help him? I need some advice. Thanx

Bipolar Affective Disorder is a term that is professionally used for manic depression. Manic depression involves wide mood alterations, with periods of depression and mania. Bipolar means sharing two poles, high and low, and Affective Disorder means a disorder associated with mood. The cause of Bipolar Disorder is not known. Highly creative, sensitive people, perfectionists and high achievers, have a higher incidence of bipolar affective disorder, however any person can develop manic depression. Although biological factors seem to play a major role in producing the illness, a person's personality also plays a part in bringing on an acute episode. Factors such as death, separation and divorce may trigger the disorder. The illness manifests itself with the episodes of mania or elation followed by low mood or depression and the number of manic and depressive episodes varies greatly from person to person. It is nice to hear that you want to help your uncle, and the best thing that you can do for him is to be there for him. It is important that he is under supervision of his doctor. Hope that everything will be ok.

my wife just got out of rehab. she lives with a guy she met their, who is also bipolar. she went from having all three kids to hardly seeing them. she drinks on her pills when she does take them. she wants the kids but i dont feel this is a good decision. now i am taking anxiety medications and suffer from deep depression. things arent the same at all. i worry about her.