ok who can tell me how long after you stop taking birth control pills is it possible to get pregnant? i have been taking pills for about a year due to health problems. i recently had sex with my boyfriend but we were both a little drunk after a party so he didnt use a condom but he didnt like finish inside me, i know precum contains sperm aswell, so im worried because i stopped taking the pill about 2 months ago. so could anyone possibly tell me after how long of getting off the pill is there a possibility to get pregnant?

Hi there

I was always told the time for a birth control to come out of your system is the same as the time between doses to keep you safe, or to be careful if you miss a dose...

So for the pill, I'd say almost straight away really, as you have to take it daily, and have to have a week's worth in your system before you're in a 'safe' situation. So basically, it's possible to become pregnant almost straight away!

Hope this helps

Kelly x

omg!!!!! thanks, but dont they say you need to quit the pills for like 3-6 months before you can get pregnant?

No hun, not before you can... before you should! They recommend having at least 2-3 natural periods before trying to become pregnant. This only happens once the hormones in your pill are completely out of your system. It's mostly for 'due-dating' reasons, so you can get an accurate due date if you do become pregnant, but it in no way stops you becoming pregnant! The 2-3 months thing is usually for the injected type of contraception, as you take that every 12 weeks!

x

oh thanx! great now im worried!!!! :s

Don't worry sweet, what will be will be! Best thing you can do is find out one way or the other, and take it from there!

Have you missed a period yet? If not, then it's possibly too soon to tell. When you say you recently had unprotected sex, how recently? If your boyfriend didn't ejaculate inside you then there is a minimal chance that you are pregnant - though you are right in what you say, precum can contain some sperm.

Don't panic - it won't help you, believe me! If you are talking about unprotected sex within the last 72 hours it's possible you can get emergency contraception.

In the future, I'd recommend you try another method of contraception! Personally I hate condoms, and I was taken off the pill for health reasons. There are others - some aren't even hormone based, so completely natural and you can get pregnant immediately after you stop using them!

x

well recently was on friday. and i cant get emergency contraception because my gynecologist is on holidays and in cyprus unfortunately you need a prescription to get it!!! and i havent missed a period, last month i had it on the 20th but i dont know when im gonna get it this month, my dates got confused after i stopped taking the pill. and i really dont want to be pregnant coz i was always a responsible person but im only 20! and i wouldnt want to be pregnant coz i wouldnt have anyone to help me out and im really against abortions!

I know what you mean about periods being messed up - I get mine anywhere between 27 and 35 days!!!

If you got ur period on 20th last month, then you're probably due around now? If you can't get emergency contraception, then I'd give it another week to see about your period. If you haven't had it by then, I'd recommend getting a test.

Honestly, I don't think you have too much to worry about though. It's a very small chance that you'll be pregnant if your boyfriend withdrew before ejaculation.

Where do you live? I guess we're lucky here in England - we get emergency contraception over the counter at the pharmacy - some places charge, most places do it for free!

And seriously don't worry - yes you're against abortion, but people manage other ways. If you do find out you're pregnant and you feel you can't keep your baby then there are other options, but you don't even need to think about those at the moment!!! First off you need to find out if you're even pregnant!!!

x

well the way its messed up its probably gonna come sometime next week. i live in cyprus btw, its a small island near greece. anyway thanks a lot for all the advise!
lilly! x

I know cyprus! I lived in Greece for a few months, as a holiday rep! Halkidiki - loved it there! And WOW that your name's Lilly - that's what I'm going to call my first baby, once I'm pregnant... and if I have a girl!!!

any time, for the advice! Let me know how you get on!

Kelly xx

sure thing! thanx for everything! :-)

anailits wrote:

sure thing! thanx for everything! :)

Hi there, it seemed like you were quite worried when you first posted this. Can you give us an update on how you're doing? I'd like to hear if you were able to resolve this issue or not. Thanks!

Hi Lilly

I'm interested to know how you got on too! Everything ok your end?

Let me know

Kelly xxx

HI there, one last quick check-in to see if your'e still around! I don't want to bug but are you still around? Le tme know how you're doing!!