Locked New Topic Followed by 1 people

I have had mirena iud for five months now. During these five months I have gained around 10 pounds. 10 pounds gain is so obvious. I did expect some weight gain but not this much. I would like to know if there are women who also gained this much weight and the measures you took to lose it. Did you get rid of the mirena or did you start dieting? Thx

Hello! I didn’t know I may weight gain before I had mirena inserted. That was my fault because I did it without asking questions first. I did gain about 7 pounds and got so worried. Then I searched for the info on mirena, and learned some interesting facts like that mirena can affect fertility. It may happen ( with mirena in ) for perforation, embedding, or pelvic infection to occur and the uterus or tubes may become damaged and lower the chance of pregnancy. The moment I realized this, I had mirena removed no matter the gain weight or other side effects. However, it was good not having to think about pregnancy and the pills.

I had the IUD for one year and experianced massive weight gain ever since it was put in, I recently had it removed and noticed weight loss.

Why not try a hormone FREE iud? Hormones are known to cause weight gain, and if you opted for a copper IUD you woudl not worry about hormonal side effects.

HI there. I had Mirena inserted on May 30 and since then I have gained upward of 8-10 pounds. I know that it is b/c of the mirena but I would rather work that weight off than have another 30 to lose from another baby!

I had the Mirena for five months and got it taken out this week. At first I didn't like it b/c I spotted for 2 months. Then I just felt like my moods changed and I couldn't lose weight (my baby is 8 months). I feel better already after having it removed. I'm not sure how much I gained, but my belly is bigger and my pants are tight.

I thought I was nuts- thinking that my weight gain was due to my iud. Put it off on everything from working midnights to not working out like I should. In the last 18 months I have gained 20-25 pounds and nothing I do seems to help. I do like the benefits of my iud, and only had spotting for about 2 months, and now have virtually no periods at all. But is there anything that will help counter act the weight gain?

EAT A low calorie diet and exercise for at least 45 minutes every day.. That is the only way to lose weight and keep it off.

I'm gaining weight too, and I'm in my third month of using Mirena (for heavy periods). I'm craving sweets much more and am wondering if the gain will level off after a certain amount of time. Very discouraged but I'll give it six months and try to eat better. If my weight still goes up, I'll take it out.

I had my Mirena inserted at the end of June 2006 and have been spotting or bleeding every day since. I also have gained 4 pounds in just one month's time. Most recently, I checked my blood pressure at the local drugstore and noticed I am now in the prehypertension range (I have always been on the low side). I go for my post insertion checkup next week and plan to ask my doctor about these two things.

As for trying to control or stop the weight gain before it gets out of control, I am not certain which dieting is the best for women. I've tried low carb diets before without much success and have later read that women tend to do better on a weight watchers type approach versus low carb. Unfortunately, I do not do well on "portion control" because I stay so hungry. I am currently looking into the Let's do Lunch approach to see if it helps. It recommends eating fruit for breakfast and limiting one's protein intake to a lunchtime meal, and vegetables/fruit for dinner. The only concern I have here is that I have read that the hormones in Mirena can also contribute to insulin resistance - which I am not certain how the natural sugars in fruit would interact with this... Guess I better add that question to the list for the doctor too. *sigh*

What did you find out about your BP? I had the Mirena inserted at the hospital vice clinic & left my record there so my doc didn't know I had gotten the Mirena & it didn't occur to me to tell him (my appt was for an ambien refill). My BP was 160 over 100-something & he wanted me to start BP meds. We agreed on me monitoring for 2 weeks before starting meds. During the 2 weeks of monitoring, my BP was consistently high. Oh, another piece of the puzzle: in the 3 months prior to my BP jump, I had lost 30 pounds & had worked up to doing 45 mins a day on the elliptical trainer 5 days a week. The next time I saw my doc, he said the Mirena was probably causing a lot of my new medical problems (high BP, migraines, horrible hair loss) and he removed it. The next appt I had w/ him, my BP was 105/65, yesterday I saw him again & my BP was 115/69 (we were running late & I was rushing into the clinic w/ my 3 & 4 year old kids). The migraines have stopped since removal & I'm hoping my hair loss has slowed but I'm not sure. He said it could take 3 months to get all the hormones out of my system. I also think (although I can't find anything to support it) that the Mirena may have caused my hypothyroidism to flare up. I've been steady at around a 1.0 TSH for 3 years (diagnosed hypo 5 yrs ago) until recently & I've had about 4 TSH tests a year. My TSH had gone up to over 2.5 on the Mirena. Doc just called & the TSH I had drawn yesterday was 1.1, back to my normal range so I'm attributing that to the Mirena too.

I had the IUD inserted about 8 months ago. I haven't really noticed any weight gain..but I also read about the moodiness and craving sweets, and that is so me. I didn't know that it could increase the moodiness. I always want something sweet, it drives me crazy!

I had my second Mirena put in on July 25, 2006. The first one, five years ago. The first did not give me ANY trouble. With the second one, I am 2 sizes bigger in my bra size and have gained 7 pounds with no change in diet or regular exercise. I had it taken out this morning. I am not happy with additional weight but they took it out because of the month long breast pain.

It's good to hear everyone's insight. The last post especially interests me since I've had my Mirena nearly 5 years and I've made an appointment to get it replaced. Your experience makes me a little nervous, I wonder if they've changed them.
I've loved the Mirena for the 5 years I've had it. Reliable birthcontrol and hardly any period!
The various birth control pills I tried made me an emotional wreck. I'm normally pretty emotional and I've had episodes of depression so the pill was not worth it for me.
My husband is willing to get snipped but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. We probably won't have anymore kids but I just don't think I'm ready to comit to that yet.

I have had my IUD in for three years now. I had it put in 8 weeks after my 3rd son was born, at which point I had already lost most of my weight. In fact, the doctor was checking my thyroid because she was concerned about how rapidly I was loosing my weight without diet and excersize. Three years and an IUD later, I am 25 pounds heavier and weighing the most I have ever weighed not pregnant. I am just figuring out now that the IUD might have something to do with this problem...althoug I am 28 and I've been told that metabolism slows as you get older. Any feedback on this??