hi ! I am the mother of four children who had the mirena IUD inserted in May 05. I never dreamed that the IUD caused weight gain, however now i am convinced that it does. I have gained roughly 35 pounds in 15 months. Because of this weight gain I have started to feel very depressed which is not a good side effect. I have decided that i will NOT continue with MIrena IUD. i have tried all kinds of contraceptives and most dont work for me since i am extremely fertile. my last resort is tying my tubes. I now realize that ANY hormone therapy is going to wreak havoc on your body. In the end natural is better!!. NO MORE HORMONES FOR THIS CANADIAN GIRL!!!

I have had the mirena implant for about 2years and i have put on 40lbs I think I am going to have it removed.

I am someone who was lucky enough to be born with a fast metabolism. I'm 35 and been the same weight since high school. Even when i was pregnant i was told to "eat more" to try to gain weight. I've had the Mirena IUD in for 3 months, and have gained 4 pounds. I know it doesn't sound like much, but i've never been this heavy in my life...wondering if it is the IUD? Also, been breaking out & had non-stop bleeding.

I cant believe what I have read!!! I had mirena inserted in October of last year after my daughter was born. I had already lost my baby weight except for maybe 10 lbs before having it inserted! I gained all my baby weight back plus 10 lbs!!! i was totally miserable because on top of that I had horrible mood swings, I was depressed like everything was my fault I mean my husband couldnt even have a normal converstaion with me about someone or something with out me getting outraged and angry or falling apart and balling my eyes out. He distanced himself from me because he could not handle it. I couldnt figure out why I was acting this way. I have always been an outgoing friendly person not to mention a small one a that 5'2" around 115 to 120lbs and now I am 170lbs and completely not myself. I would take care of my daughter but it was a struggle for me to even clean my house or make dinner for my husband. I always slept when she did and would go to bed when she did at night. It is the worst thing I have ever experinced in my life!!! I also bled like crazy and then just quit one day. I just got my mirena removed a few days ago and I am already seeing changes in my attutide and figure! Lost 3lbs in 3 days!!!I am young and my husband and I want more children but not at the moment but mirena is NOT the way to prevent it due to the side effects!!! we decided to use protection and me not be on any kind of hormone at all!!!

Ok... so i have had mirena since feb. of last year and i have NOT had a period since the following may. This is not what my complaint is about. On the day i went to have my mirena put in i weighted 30 POUNDS LESS than what i do now :'( ? ! My mom tries to say well maybe its because youre not as active... but the truth is i am more active than i was then! Im just not sure what to think =( Do you think that mirena is the cause of my weight gain>?? thanks guys

I am not exactly sure how to post on this, but here it goes. I had my Mirena put in November 2006. Over the last three years I have had breast pain, gained 14 lbs and experienced (are you sitting down for this?) a neon green discharge from my nipples when I do my breast exams. Now, realizing how incredibly disgusting this is, I still have to share. I went to my primary doctor over this, went to an oncologist, saw a surgeon, had numerous tests done and NOONE can figure out why this is happening. At one of my breast exams a radiologist told me that it happened to her too when she had a 'certain' iud in place and that it is an affect of the hormones. My Mirena has also relocated itself which in turn has caused EXCESSIVE uncontrollable bleeding that has resulted in me missing work, not due to cramps, but due to by having to lie down to keep from multiple embarrassing accidents throughout the day. I am having this darn thing removed on Tuesday, October 6th, provided they can get to it. At last sonogram, it may be tricky to get to where it is at. I will keep you all posted and I am so thankful for this forum, the depression from weight gain and gross girly stuff has just about taken it's toll.

i'am glad i read all of this. I went to the doctor today for my 6 week exam after having my first son. She suggested the IUD and my fiane and I thought, well it sounds great. But after reading about all the weight gain which by the way has been harder to lose since I'm 34 now and not as active. It shed of throughout my 20's but once I hit 30... forget about it. So when my fiance gets home I'm going to have him read all of this. Naturally, he WILL give me a hard time about my weight gain complaint. He'll say the usual, you're not fat, you won't get fat, that's stupid. etc.... He's not a woman and doesn't get how we feel about the whole weight issue. So THANK YOU to all the women who told their story on here, it really helped me ALOT in my decision, NOT to get the IUD.
~sarah~

If you could please, let us know what has happened after you had it removed. My issues have been the same as yours. I had no idea until I saw a nutritionist this week. I have loved not having a period but not at the trade off of being F.A.T.
My normal weight is 140 and I now weigh 205 pounds which is what I weighed at 9 months pregnant. I had gotten back into my pre-baby clothes soon after having our daughter and then came the Mirena and I have not lost a single pound but gained 60 pounds in almost 4 years. I have an appointment to have it removed in 10 days and I would LOVE TO HEAR FROM THE WOMEN WHO HAD IT REMOVED AND HOW THINGS HAVE GONE AFTER THE REMOVAL! PLEASE GIVE US ALL HOPE! This has been now a 4 year nightmare that I am just waking up to.

I had my daughter in April of 09, I got my IUD in June. At that time I had lost all my baby weight plus more. I have always been a heavier person to begin with. When I had my daughter my weight was 257lbs, then by june I was down to 209, I thought I was doing great. So I got my IUD in and its now Jan. and I am back to 257lbs, what is going on, I am generally active and I do work out but why would I gain this much weight. MY moods are up and down, I am really thinking I want this IUD outta me. If you have an opinion or suggestion please reply.

I had the Mirena inserted in 2009. A few weeks ago i experienced extreme bleeding. I never have had heavy periods so I thought this was unusual but did not see my doctor. I figured the bleeding was due to the Mirena since my periods had been so light my body was compensating for that. After about 3 weeks of bleeding I checked for the strings to the Mirena and could feel the hard plastic of the body of the Mirena. It had come out and was lodged in my vagina. I had it removed today. I also found out that I have gained 14 pounds. Even the nurse questioned it. I was so scared I was pregnant but the test was NEGATIVE. I am definitely not going back to the Mirena. Too bad I have to pay for the expensive IUD that I cant even use, and to top that, my insurance will not pay for IUD's. The company would have replaced it at a reduced cost but in my opinion, its just not worth the health risk. I dont like feeling bad and bloated and fat all the time.

Hello, I too have had the Mirena inserted for a year and half. I wanted something that was easy because we were done having kids. I weighed around 135 lbs after third daughter and have always been extremely active. I run around three-four times a week, eat as healthy as I can and have started to do a lot more boot camp classes and light weight lifting. I am also 5'7" and am medium build. I do not think I am fat but since the Mirena my weight has fluctuated up four-six pounds and then I was able to lose weight this past summer/fall. So I just assumed my body was at a good weight of around 130-132. Well since the start of the new year I have put back at least five pounds, feel awfully bloated and my belly looks like it did in my first trimester of all my pregnancies. I just went for a yearly today only to my have my doctor tell me it was my age(35 years old) and just that women tend to gain weight in their abdomen and the Mirena is not to blame. I have not changed my eating habits, seem to be changing up my workouts but now can't seem to make the scale budge any lower. In fact it just creeps up. I am getting annoyed since I try so hard to be healthy and lean. It is also infuriating for a doctor to have no sympathy at all. She also said that depending on the time of the month etc..my body is just reacting to the hormones. I want this thing out! I am going to give it to the end of the month and then will see about getting it removed. HOpe I am able to lose the weight I have gained. So frustrating. Thanks!! Just wanted to vent and to sympathize with all who have these awful symptoms!!

I am so glad to finally read all of these! I have had the Mirena IUD for 3 years. Since having it put in, I have gained roughly 20 pounds. In the past year, I have tried EVERYTHING to lose weight. I run 4 miles a day, do a nightly 30 minute weight training video, and have been doing Weight Watchers. I have not lost a single pound! I even went to my doctor and had my thyroid checked. I have also been experiencing horrible headaches 3-6 times a week. I have been sent for a CT scan, which was normal. Every time I had an issue, I would ask the doctor, "can my weight gain have anything to do with the IUD?" Every time, the answer was no!! Now I am also having a discharge when I urinate that looks like bits of tissue, very similiar to what I had in previous miscarriages. FINALLY, I saw the nurse practitioner at the OB/GYN and she said everything may be related to the IUD. She said the Mirena has the same hormones in it as the shot, which has been definitely shown to cause weight gain. I am going to have it taken out. I plan to ask about the copper IUD, which has no hormones. If not, I was thinking a diaphram. We are not overly spontaneous, so I figure I will have plenty of time to work it! I will let you know after it is taken out if I have any weight loss!

I have had the Mirena IUD for 3 years. I gained 30lbs :$ I wanted to believe that it was me and I was doing something to cause the weight gain. I am now convinced that the IUD is to blame. I hate the way I look, and feel. I haven't been this heavy since I was pregnant~10 years ago. I am having the IUD removed next week. I am curious to see if it is truely the IUD.

i have had the iud for 2-3 weeks and have already gained 5 lbs and cant fit into my pants. I NEVER gain weight, EVER!! i'm always about 115 lbs and i think i'm going to freak out. I eat super super healthy always and excercise. I hate this so much its unbelivable. and i'm tired ALL THE TIME.

OMG..I cannot tell you what a relief it is to read these posts. I had a Pulmonary embolism after going on the pill to control bleeding of heavy periods. After the blood clots FOME THE PILL developed in my lung, leg and hip I ended up having the Mirena put in. That was three years ago and have put on over 20 pds. What is crazy is that I work out 5 days a week, eat healthy low carb and am not a big drinker...Not one doctor has looked at the historical perspective of the weight gain..and it all started a few months after the IUD.
THANK YOU ALL..I have made an appt with the GYN to get it OUT!!!