I just started with pill. This is new for me. My two main concerns are weight gain and how this will affect on iron in my body. I was taking iron supplements before. I am ok now, but I wouldn’t want to disturb something with pill. I am 17 years old.

I know that some pills contain an iron supplement, so check for these girls who take the pill usually have less pain and fewer cramps with their periods. Some women experience a decrease in premenstrual tension and fewer bleeding days help to prevent iron deficiency anemia. But truth is that the pill does not make you fat. Lack of exercise and overeating can cause weight gain. And most women who take the pill do not experience a change in weight.

How do Iron Pills Help You?

Do those iron Pills make you gain weight???

I've been on iron supplementation since March for iron-deficiency anemia and my weight (especially around the middle - lower belly, hips, abs, and thighs) HAS ballooned (about 15 lbs in 4 mos), and I've heard similar stories from others in our situation. And I am dang sure I'm not pregnant.

That said, I have started exercising (no results just yet other than I feel a lot better emotionally and physically), and I've noticed that I have more energy and I can regulate my body temperature a lot better. My menstrual periods also are not nearly as cramp-ridden. So, my only symptom is weight gain. (I'm the heaviest I've ever been, and although my BMI is still within normal range, it went from low-normal to high-normal.)

I refuse to deprive my body of something it needs (iron), so I don't plan to stop getting the iron I need (be it through food or supplements); however, I'd LOVE to hear if anyone has a workaround for this. Would an iron-rich diet have fewer adverse effects than supplements? Or if supplements are still the answer, would I be better off taking it at a certain time (like day/night) or on a full/empty stomach, or perhaps combined with other supplements?

Thanks!

Iron deficiency causes weight loss. Taking more will not make you gain weight, it will only normalize your metabolism. An iron overdose can be very dangerous as well, so taking extra iron (especially as a male who does not menstruate and lose iron!) to gain weight is not only an ineffective idea, but also a very bad idea.

Think about it- what causes weight gain? Calories, carbs, protein, etc.

The only people who should EVER take iron supplements are menstruating women, pregnant women, and vegetarians.

I have started to took Iron for anemia and I too must say that I have ballooned in the mid section. I exercise and eat well and the mid section at this stage is suffering. Although I think that our bodies should start working better after taking the Iron if we are deficient so it could be just temporary whilst taking Iron.

me too!!! And I've never been fat in my life. I've been off the iron for 3 weeks now and the weight won't budge! So annoying!!

I've been on iron sup. for 2 weeks, lifestyle is still the same, gained 6lbs :-( :-( :-(

I started taking iron supplements 10 days ago and gained 3 lbs already. Nothing else has changed in my lifestyle, still eat light, exercise everyday. I am a pharmacist and have never heard of this side effect, but after reading this forum and a couple others, I am now convinced iron can lead to weight gain. I just wish I could understand the physiology behind it. (and no, it's not constipation, I am still regular).

Iron medication does make you gain weight. I was very anemic and I started taking iron medication . My Gosh ive gain over 25 lbs in five months ! Im eating less and excercising more and thats what is haperning to me . Im praying and I am belive that  God can  deliver me of from this  weight problem.

i just started taken iron pills  and I'm gaining a lot of weight from it  and my moms a doctor  and told me  iron makes you fat 

Your post sounds almost identical to my situation.

I realise this is an old post now but to those of you who have had weight gain with iron suppliments - have you found an answer to this problem?
I too have gained weight around my middle after being on iron tablets prescribed by my doctor for very low iron. I have never been overweight & even though I'm being extra careful now with my diet/exercise (eatiing more red meat/vege etc. & cutting out caffine/sweet stuff) this is quite a shock to me. When I stopped taking the iron tablets all the weight stayed on and I began to feel exhausted again after only 3 weeks. So back on the tablets and now getting regular blood checks to test my iron levels.
I take my iron tablets at night, before bed on an empty stomach. I've been told this is the optimum way of absorbing iron from the tablets.

Anyone else in the same situation?

im 18 years old right now and i had a lil iron deficiency whn i was 17 so the doc prescribed me the iron tablets nd i started gaining weight i took the medicine only for a month and went from 115 to 142lbs i was never this fat before in my life 

my hgb ws 8.6 i strted taking iron supplimnt, but olso getting weight at belly nd hip specially.. but ma hgb increased by 9.5, m gonna leave iron supplemntx frm now aftr reading oll replies... will recvr rest ov it through salads nd fruits