I had my mirena inserted about a month ago and I was terrified about gaining weight, especially after reading countless posts. When I asked my doctor about it, he laughed and said it was very unlikely to simply gain weight from an IUD.

He was right, I eat very well and I work out often. My mirena has not affected my appetite or my energy levels.

Ladies, you can blame whatever/whoever you want about your weight gain but thruth is,  it comes down to how much you eat and your activity levels. An IUD is about as effective at gaining weigth as a pill is at losing it...

All the best!

Thank you, I wish more people would come out and tell positive stories about mirena, I just got mine and felt like reaching up and yanking it out after reading some of the stories people have posted.  My Dr. and about 3 of the nurses at the office I go to all have it and tell me I will LOVE it, they all seem to be in pretty good shape.  Maybe it is possible for the horomone to increase your appetite, but knowing that it may be possible, maybe its also possible to watch it and eat healthy snacks when you feel hungry rather than half a package of chips ahoy (I'm not proud, but I've done that before XD ), I'm sure that lifestyle plays a role too.  My Dr. also told me that my insurance will not pay a dime for me to have it removed early unless there is a medical reason for it and that it cost about $200 to have it removed, so hopefully all the horror stories are not true because I am stuck with this bad boy for 5 years unless my Dr. will accept payments lol.  Also after it was inserted I got really dizzy on the way home and was really crampy, later that night I could tell my cervix/uterus had swollen up, it hurt to sit and to wipe after using the bathroom, I didnt want to rush to the hospital or call the Dr. so I took some advil and went to bed, when I woke up the swelling seemed to have gone away and I only had mild crampiness so hopefully everything is ok :-|

You cant trust one doctor or nurses telling you no one is the same no one experience the same things with the mirena . I had mine for 4 years until a month ago gave me the worse infection where i was in the hospital for 4 days and they removed it i didnt ask for it to be removed . They saved my life and if later down the road if i want anymore children I can because they got it out in time before i became infertile

I have had my IUD for over 5 years, I finally get it out next week! I had no idea about the weight gain issues or anything until I was googling to see if it hurts to take it out. Then I seen all the horror stories.... My experience and this is all the truth. OK Once I had my baby about 3 weeks (no IUD in) I had pretty much lost all my baby weight, I was even back into jeans. I was so happy! I got the IUD put in and gain weight, now i never thought it was the IUD I thought it was because I stopped breast feeding and getting more sleep because I was not getting up every two hours. Gained all the weight back. Once I realized this I started to diet, I went on weight watchers, plus walked over 4 miles, and also one hour of Jillian Michaels workout dvds 7 days a week. I lost 25lbs in 5 months... It was awesome, but then I started school and could not obviously keep up with this crazy schedule and just did weight watchers, then fell off the wagon completely.. However I weighed myself everyday pretty much and gained all the weight back, and every time I would get on a diet.. I would lose 10lbs or so then as soon as I stopped I would gain a pound in a day.. Also the last attempt I was eating three meals a day usually fruit in the morning, weight watchers soup with 7 crackers for lunch, and then supper which was meat, carbs, and veggies.. Thats it all day and worked out for an hour a day, then I gained 2lbs in one day and quit. I get so frustrated working out and not being able to eat like a normal person that I end up quitting... Now time will only tell if it is the IUD or because of me! I will let people know when I find out myself! Just another note I weigh the same as when I gave birth :(

I beg to disagree for several reasons. Everyone is different and birth control does effect everyone differently. Also age I believe also effects the way birth control interfere's with weight. the older the harder it is to keep off and birth control can contribute to this b/c hormone fluctuations can cause weight gain. The mirena has been proved to increase bloating thus causing weight gain. It has been in my experience over the last 24 years of birth control that most do cause weight gain and this is through trial and error. Every time I come off of a different one I lose the weight I gain. I am a person who works out 5 days a week at a minimum, stay under 1200 calorie diet that includes whole grains, protein and fruits and veggies. However, back to my comment that everyone is different may be why. My biggest concern is that i very rarely see someone post positive things about any BC. Yes there are those that have no side effects but less than those who do experience negative side effects. My other concern is that those that have to work harder b/c they experience the negative side effects is some what of a challenge. You stress more about your weight, you have to work harder to keep it off and eat less. All of these which you don't have to be overly conscious about while not on BC. Its a challenging topic and I wished that doctors were more realistic when prescribing BC b/c they do alter hormones that can cause negative side effects such as weight gain. bloating, anxiety, etc. These are far more worse than the benefits sometimes b/c these can lead to increased stress and even depression. However, slapping an anti depressant to bandaid and curb those thoughts can lead to additional negative side effects. There is more and more research out there being performed about hormones, BC and their negative side effects. Mirena was my last resort in trying to have BC with out the least amount of side effects. I have gained 13 lbs in the 5 months I have had it. I have even tightened my diet restrictions and increased exercise. I continue to gain. Do some research on Lepitin hormone and the negative side effects of BC and those with synthetic hormones. This essentially could block your bodies ability to metabolise food as it normally would without BC, thus causing weight gain.

Everyone is different, after I had my baby I had bypass surgery 7 months later. I was on a roll with weight loss. taking pills became a task for me so I decided to have the mirena inserted. Bam! My weight loss came to a screeching halt.. although I was maintaining my weight I wasn't losing and I was very moody and Oh How I craved sweets, which I couldn't have unless I wanted to be in a world of hurt.. and I had my period 3 weeks out of the month with spotting between. I went about 11 months like this until my dietician wanted to do an update on my med list and wanted to know what I was using for birth control.. She stopped writing and looked up at me and told me to get it out!  I called my Dr. for an apt and, he told me that yes I was in fact experiencing some of the bad side affects.. Took it out and 6 months later, I am at my goal weight. Never will I have depo or the mirena again ..

I got the Mirena placed in Aug 2012. At the time of the placement I wore a size 1 and weighed 95lbs. I started gaining weight and fast! By the end of Aug I had gained 10lbs...Long story short but the end of Dec I had gained 30lbs an. Now, April, I have gained 50lbs!!!!! I have worked out EVERY SINGLE DAY for 4 months and started the Paleo diet and lost 7lbs and 2 wks later gained it all back PLUS 4 extra lbs. My weight IS because of my IUD and I'm getting it taken out!!!! I will comment back when it's out and I loose the weight...

My Story:

I had the Mirena inserted about 7 months ago. My weight immediately started slowly creeping up until I was 10lbs. heavier. My weight has always fluctuated by 3lb up or down but never more than that. I have always been able to loose a few lbs. of weight gain by eating healthier. I literally tried everything to get this 10lbs. off. The doctor Oz 3 day detox. I did this three days a week for three weeks. I gained one lb. I was also getting up a 6:00 am and working out. I cut out refined carbs and only drank water and green tea. I think all of these things I was doing is why I only gained 10 and not 30lbs. My doctor assured me it wasn't the Mirena but I wasn't convinced so I had it removed. Two weeks later and I have already lost 5 1/2 lbs. So for me having the Mirena removed was the best choice. I went back to the Nuva Ring and haven't had any problems. I would seriously consider Mirena being a big possibility of why you may be gaining weight. It certainly was for me.

After my last child got down to 127.  I work out all the time.  I've been on Mirena for 4 years and my lbs slowly creep up.  I work my ass off at the gym and have since before Mirena.  When on Mirena, even when I stepped up my workout and curved my eating, I had trouble loosing any weight.  Long story short.  I kept telling myself any weight gain was from added muscle bc I work out and age.  This was at 136.  I don't weigh myself often but got weighed at doctors 3 1/2 weeks ago.  I weighed 142.  I was so upset I came home and ripped it out myself.   3 1/2 weeks ago and I've already lost 10 lbs.  Still splurging on weekends, , cheese burgers etc. I have stepped my workout up a little bit and stopped snacking during the day....but I've done this plenty of times over the past few years and was lucky to loose a 1lb or 2.  I haven't gotten a period yet but I think it will make me loose even more bc I still feel the bloating.  Don't get me wrong... Loved not having a period and not having to worry about birth control.  However, love not feeling like a fatty more!!! Blah, Blah, Blah about those who say it has nothing to do with weight gain.  Your THE Naive ONES AND HAVE FUN HAVING THE LBS CREEP UP ON YOU!  It's a slow creep but a creep all the same.  The day I ripped it out and told my husband why, he said, "I knew something was up.  I think you still look good but there is no way you could work out as much as you do and not loose weight.  I just figured it was age."  Has anyone tried the copper?  I'm curious if anyone went from mirena to that and lost.  I'm scared to put anything back in my body until another 5 lbs.   I'd be interested to hear any feedback on the copper.  My husband is scared to get snipped and I am too.

Wrong. I got the Mirena IUD 3 months ago and have gained over 15lbs.
I eat mostly healthy foods and I work out at least 3 times a week.
I am 22 years old and my activity levels and eating patterns are better than most.
Just because you didn't gain weight doesn't mean that others will not.

People respond differently to medications, IUD, etc. I for one can attest that Mirena most certainly DOES cause weight gain.

FYI just because it did NOT happen to you, doesnt mean it doesnt happen. Everyone's body is different. Some have good experience, many do not. Just because you were one of the lucky few doesnt mean everyone else is lying. I know of PLENTY of women who work their asses off....even women in the military...they get this thing and it causes weight gain.
Just so you you, Mirena works by TRICKING YOUR BODY INTO THINKING ITS PREGNANT. So it is common to experience pregnancy like symptoms, such as weight gain, not being able to lose weight, and horrible cravings. So yes, while some of it may have to do with women not eating right, it could also be do to the fact that not all women handle hormones at the same level.

I think its horrible that you think you can decide and say if someone is lying or not, just based on your one experience.

You can't just believe what doctors tell you. Your post comes off as preachy and rude towards those who do gain weight on Mirena. And FYI, maybe you should let your doctors know that the Mirena pamphlet and website itself DOES say that weight gain is a possible side effect. Think twice about your words before you start saying you know all, because clearly you don't.

If you cant believe what the doctors tell you how can you possibly allow them to insert a coil? There is inconclusive reserach regarding the weight gain on the Mirena Coil. Many of the woman starting the coil put on weight for many different reasons and it might be age (women tend to statistically out on weight as age progresses), the depressive side effect making them eat more or lifestyle changes that make them put on weight. Maybe on the other hand progesterone holds on to fat. The fact is based on medical research that it is inconclusive but still has to appear as one of the side affects. 

Ladies, please dont get me wrong but these posts are really grumpy. They are like forum road rage. what has the lady who wrote the post ever done to you? You really sound like you hate her! At this stage i'm more worried about the possible side effect of mood swings and over defensive posts. hope you all lose your weight. 

finally somebody sensible and calm

My doctor also told me it's very unlikely to gain weight on Mirena. I had it inserted a week ago and I'm LOSING weight. (I was on BC pill before) I guess some women find it easier to blame something else for their own bad eating habits!