I have heard that people who think they might be at risk for developing cancer of the larynx should discuss this concern with their doctor. I have also heard that the doctor may be able to suggest ways to reduce the risk and can suggest an appropriate schedule for checkups. However, I would like to hear more about larynx cancer, who is at greatest risk for developing it. Can you tell me more about this problem?

Cancer of the larynx occurs most often in people over the 55 years old. It is more common in men than in women and is more common among black Americans than among whites. Many scientists at hospitals and medical centers are trying to learn more about what causes cancer of larynx, and how to prevent it. It cannot be explained why one person gets cancer of the larynx and another does not. However, it is known that no one can catch cancer from another person, because it is not contagious. One known cause of cancer of the larynx is cigarette smoking, and it is known that smokers are far more likely to develop cancer of larynx than nonsmokers are. The risk for developing cancer of larynx is even higher for smokers who drink alcohol heavily. People who stop smoking can greatly reduce their risk of this cancer, as well as cancer of the lung, mouth, pancreas, bladder, and esophagus. By quitting smoking, those who have already had cancer of the larynx can cut down the risk of developing a second cancer. There are some special counseling or self- help groups, which are useful for some people, who are trying to stop smoking.