If you thought that once in a while lighted cigarette with a drink or coffee won’t do you no harm is where you got it wrong. A 30-year study proves the opposite. Even just one cigarette a day triples the risks of heart disease and lung cancer.
Researchers from Norway monitored the smoking habits of 43,000 people for 30 years and found that those who smoked one to four cigarettes a day, so called "light" smokers, had three times the risk of heart disease compared with those who had never smoked.
Also, a non-smoker who lives with a person who smokes 20 cigarettes a day has one-third of the risk of their partner even though they are actually exposed to only 1 per cent of the smoke, equivalent to one cigarette every five days.
Overall, light smokers had a 50 per cent higher risk of dying from any cause than non-smokers and the risk rose with the number of cigarettes smoked.
To make things worse, the surveys conducted in Norway showed that one-third of the population believed that light smoking was safe. It needs to be mentioned that Norway is kind of country where illiteracy is minimized and that most people have finished at least college.
In the end, we conclude that smoking control policymakers and health educators should emphasize that not only heavy but also light smokers are at great risk of illnesses too.

Thank you for the post. It is great inspiration to stay away from cigarettes. I live in an Eastern European country called Macedonia where I believe at least 80% of adults smoke. So, you can imagine the temptation. I'll pass this on to my sister-in-law, too. She believes smoking once daily is no big deal.