My husband has Cerebral Cavernous Hemangioma, located in the cerebellum (right side) approximately 3" in and 2.5 x 2.6 cm.

He recently had a arteriogram and it was recommended that he have surgery to remove this. He has had two "events" within 3 months, which resulted in hemorrhage in the brain. We are told they are not absorbing back into the brain tissue or very slowly and another event could take up the remaining space and block the stem canal.
We are concerned that the surgery will diminish his balance, speech and writing even more. How great is that risk.
If he does not have the surgery he could experience further bleeds resulting in hydrocephalus (fluid on the brain), we are told.

How safe is the surgery and what is the likely hood of that reoccurring?
He is 63 years old and otherwise in fine shape and health. We truly are in a serious quandary as to if he should or should not have the surgery and the risks involved. Can you explain.
Thank you, Nancy B. /Ocean Springs, MS

Well the risk seems to be a rock and a hard place for you. I know that the surgery is not common so you will definitely want to make sure that you go with a surgeon specialist who has a lot of experience with performing this procedure. There are some risks associated with any surgery so be aware of that. In either case, does anyone know much about the risk level? Thanks for posting and let us know about his decision.

I tend to agree with your surgeon's recommendation. Repeated brain hemorrhage can result in death. Your husband cannot survive too many of these events. I would be less concerned with the after effects of the surgery than with the risk involved in performing the surgery. The deeper the hemangioma is located the higher the risk. So it is a damn if you do and damn if you don't kind of situation.