I have been having weird symptoms since Aug 2007 and after every test (heart, blood, ultrasounds, CT scans, MRI) and removal of my gall bladder, I am still feeling the same lightheaded, nauseous, blood pressure elevated and generally just not feeling great. I exercise and run on a regular basis eat well and try to keep this up hoping that I will start feeling better physically, but now they have found this thing on my liver (after my last CT scan with contrast and have to go for a RBC scan now), and they tell me that there are usually no symptoms. I would like to know if anyone else has had a liver hemangioma and if they have had these or any types of symptoms also.

yes. lightheadedness. bruise easily. nauseous (similar to constant morning sickness, all day). bile build up. throw up easily, especially after eating oil or fat, or a bit too much food. headaches. upward pressure on diaphram/lungs. shortness of breath. pain and pressure all around "bra line." ongoing, little cough. slight bulge on liver. I also exercise and run but still do not feel good 99% of the time. Doctor told me to tell him if I have symptoms. WELL, what are these symptoms? I guess I live with the pain and discomfort for the next 50 years.

yes, have had many of the same symptoms. For several years have experienced shortness of breath, chest pain, and extreme fatigue. In past several months, pain in upper right back, MOST DEFINITELY pain around "bra line"..sometimes almost unbearable. Anemic, low B12, low vitamin D, circulation problems(hands stay purple and cold, feet are so cold they cramp), bruise easily, low platelet count and occassional low-grade fever. After ultrasound of thyroid and heart, detected "cyst" on liver. After ultrasound of abdomen, detected "complex mass" on liver.
CT scan and MRI both revealed 11cm hemangioma on left lobe of liver. Am waiting for a call from a surgeon at UAB hospital. I don't like the idea of surgery but can't imagine living the rest of my life the way I feel now. I am able to get through the day at work and by the time I get home at night am wiped out. Because symptoms are rare, the general surgeon I talked to acted like I was crazy. I am tired of being told that nothing is wrong with me when I know how I feel.

sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with this, mine isn't quite as large as yours, but I can understand how you feel when the doctors look at you and think you have to be making up all this stuff because they say "it shouldn't cause any symptoms because it's just like a birth mark" . Have you had your gall bladder removed? This is how they first discovered mine by the ultrasound. I had my gall bladder removed in Aug hoping that it aliviated some of my symptoms and know my liver funtion tests have come back worst than before I had the surgery. I still believe it has something to do with the hemangioma. But they now are believing me and the different symptoms occurring. Doing more blood tests for Alpha 1 Antitrisyn defiency, acute hepatitis, bulirubin, ALT, AST. Have you had your liver funtion tests done? Hopefully they know enough to do that.

I absolutely know what you mean about doctors not taking you seriously I have been battling this problem as well.
Last aug I had a kidney stone and from there it has taken me 6 mths to have someone look seriously at my symptoms. I also have shortness of breath, nausea/vomitting, headaches, low blood pressure and feeling really full after meals. Just this week a ct scan showed a liver hemangioma and another common benign tumor (focal nodular hyperplasia - anyone know anything about this term?) that is against my liver and gall bladder, I am waiting to get liver function tests done but I had to really push for those.

know that we're not crazy and keep pushing for your health!

After being denied health insurance, I discovered that a 1cm hemangioma had been found in a CT scan nearly three years ago during an ER visit. The ER doctor failed to mention the hemangioma, so this is all recent news to me. Now in conjunction with helplessly searching for a new health provider (I left my prior HMO after terrible experiences), I am trying to figure out a way of having this hemangioma further checked out. Without health coverage. Because the hemangioma was notated in doctor's notes, but I was never informed of it, I did not further investigate or monitor it. I'm beyond uneasy. Does anyone have advice? Are there symptoms that may point to the hemangioma being dangerous? Many of my symptoms are similar to those listed in prior posts (shortness of breath, pain in upper right back, headaches, circulation problems). These symptoms are usually mild, but I don't have any additional ailments either. I would be so appreciative of ANY pertinent information.

6 cm liver hemangioma diagnosed via ultrasound and CT Scan with contrast. Discovered while doing abdomen ultrasound for digestive issues.
Was previously treated for Lyme Disease (2nd stage), so hard to distinguish lingering effects of Lyme vs. something because of hemangioma. Have been told that hemangioma should not be causing health issues given location and good liver function tests.
Question for you to determine is whether hemangioma is growing, and if it is in fact a hemangioma. Apparently they are relatively common, and typically harmless on liver.
Re RBC test taker, were tests conclusive?

to "without insurance"
Isn't it frustrating when doctors leave out info...I hate that.
From the reading I have done so far, 1cm is considered quite harmless but I am sure that there are symptoms that go with this problem despite what they say. Are you booked with a specialist? I think that might be your next step and also my understanding is that they should be monitoring the growth of the tumor.
I am still waiting to see a specialist at which point i will have waited 8 mths. And still being told that I shouldn't have any symptoms.
Try not to worry too much, it won't help your health either.

I just came back from seeing an interventional radiologist about my 3cm hemangioma who said my symptoms very similar to the above including pain in my back, upper right side is most likely from that but of course, cannot be 100% sure. I can't believe all these symptoms that everyone is writing on here are exactly the same as mine. BUT THEN you wonder if it's something else and should I have the embolization. Guess it's worth a shot, especially if everyone who has this hemangioma on the liver has the same symptoms. That is what we all seem to have in common.

Kathy,

Your symptoms in particular would alert me to possible Lyme disease. All of the symptoms listed above can be due to Lyme disease, even "successfully treated," Lyme disease. I was diagnosed after 1 1/2 years of joint pain, muscle weakness, left-side upper quadrant pain, nausea, fatigue, severe light-headedness especially going from sitting to standing. It's a ridiculous laundry list.

There is a lot of controversy over the proper diagnosis and treatment of Lyme with mainstream medical believing it can be treated by the CDC standards and the other side (which is simply a different group of MDs) who believe the treatment guidelines put out by the Infectious Disease Society, IDSA, are flawed. There is a new 2009 documentary out called, "Under Our Skin," that will detail the political controversy in the treatment of Lyme as well as show some of the patients who are still dealing with Lyme after having been, "successfully treated," according to physicians who follow IDSA guidelines. I would also visit ILADS.org as they have the best information available on the symptoms and treatment of Lyme disease.

Lyme is debilitating and it will make you wonder if you are slowly dying while doctors keep saying, "We don't know," and for the most part they don't know because they have not been educated on the vast array of Lyme symptoms. I also had a Raynaud's type vascular issue. However, it was later found out that I have more of what is called erythromelalgia. My hands get very cold with the vertical lines in the tips of the fingers. They go white, but instead of turning blue and purple, once they warm they get very hot and red and burn. Both Raynaud's and Erythromelalgia are vascular issues. Erythro is also thought to be caused by small nerve fiber involvement which means it's neurological and central nervous system related. Lyme really gets the Central Nervous System and can do some pretty horrible things.

I recommend you test through IgeneX or through ordering the Labs on your own through Private MD. The basic Lyme antibody test and the Western Blot are all you need and they are both around $60 from Private MD. When you order, they give you a choice of what lab (LabCorp) where you would like the blood drawn. The reason I recommend one of those two is that most labs will not report which bands if any are positive. In Lyme disease these bands are important for you to know. Even LabCorp will not report the full list of bands, but they will report which bands lit up whether your test is positive or negative. IgeneX will run all of the bands but is more expensive. The lab your physician uses, unless it is LabCorp, will simply run the test and give you a positive or negative result.

Trained Lyme physicians do not go off of a positive/negative blood results when diagnosing Lyme because the tests are false negative almost 50% of the time. The blood results are supplemental to their diagnosis. If you happen to test negative but you have a band that is specific for Borrelia Burgdorferi, the bacteria that causes Lyme disease, then you have been exposed to the bacteria and it is very likely you have undiagnosed Lyme disease regardless of whether you meet the amount of bands required by the CDC to be considered positive by them. It's a lot of information to try to understand but if you do your own research you will understand.

I should also mention that I also have a hemangioma near my spine as well as three in my liver as does my sister in her liver and both of us have Lyme disease.

I had a hemangioma on my liver diagnosed after elevated liver enzymes and an ultrasound. The radiologist recommended at CT, my doctor ran my chart and ultrasound results by a few colleagues and they agree. I had the CT done and it was "clear." My doctor says that the hemangioma never existed. Is that really possible? I am having my chart send to another doctor for a second opinion.

Hi. Mid October 2009, I had severe abdominal pain. It's happened before, but this was definitely higher on the scale. Also, I had a great deal of pressure seemingly on my right kidney. My only kidney since the left was removed. After a week, I assumed it was a kidney infection and went to the doctor. Tests were fine for kidney. An ultrasound was performed and they found a 3 cm mass. Doctor actually told me to google liver hemangioma prior to next visit. And medical entries state it is an abnormal growth of blood vessels. I just had a child 3 years earlier at 39. However the following week, the CT showed nothing. The pressure and discomfort stayed for 6 months. In that time, I gained 30 pounds, was extremely exhausted but had insomnia, nausea, high blood pressure and abdominal weight. Went from a recently 2 years of bright red face to pale white color for a short time. Reports do say that while most hemangioma are harmless, if symptoms appear they can cut out the affected portion of the liver where the abnormal growth is and the liver will regenerate within weeks.

I expected surgery to occur, but doctor dropped the whole thing. Gave me a low dose vicodin which did no good.

So today, I'm cross referencing liver hemangiomas and adrenal insufficiency. Something is wrong and I am currently fighting a severe reaction to poison oak. Got shots, pills, and creams on Wednesday 04-28-2010.

On top of that, my husband is a control freak with a temper. Works long rotating shifts. So on days, the alarm goes off at 4:45, he's out the door at 5:15 then gets home between 7:15-9pm. But it's usually chaos when he walks in. So much that I watch the clock and time him. He will rant about 5 toys on the floor in the large family room. Open the fridge and count baby bottles, then scream for everyone to drop what they are doing and search for a missing bottle. He would offer to change my son's diaper while I was in the room reading a paper......but yell for the older girls to hand him wipes and a diaper that are in a diaper bag 3 feet from him. No one comes over because he makes them feel unwelcome with his stares and comments or grunts. And it goes on......I was ready to leave when my girls went off to college, but now I have a son to raise. And not an oops, he was meant to be here. Proof that birth control isn't 100%.

Anyway, I would love to hear if any of you have had any changes or improvements in your health since your last posting.

debutante wrote:

I've had one for a few years and have had the same pain. I feel like it is related to the hemangioma, and have had every test under the sun.
I'm am about ready to give up on doctors.

I have just found out that I have a hemangioma on my liver. I was wondering if acetaminophen can cause this. I take a lot of tylenol and vicodin for pain in my lower back. I was wondering if this hemangioma was related to all the pain medicine that I take.

I have just been diagnosed with a 2 cm hemangioma on my liver. My symptoms are fatigue, nausea, bloating and feeling extremely full after eating any portion. Also, cramping and abdominal pain. I get so bloated I can only wear very loose clothing to feel comfortable and avoid severe pains in my abdominal area. It sounds like many of us have the same symptoms.