Hi, I am 53 years old male and I had epileptic seizure few weeks ago. I was immediately transferred to the hospital and after I had CT scan doctor told me that I had cavernous hemangioma on the brain. In the moment I felt better because I thought they will find tumor but now I don't know what to think and how this disorder may be treated.

Hi, cavernous hemangioma is vascular malformation which may cause epileptic seizure because of blood leaking on the place where it is placed. Best treatment for it is surgical intervention by which cavernous hemangioma would be removed. However surgeon will see if such operation is possible because sometimes it can be near some vital center in the brain. In that case you would get medication to preserve bleeding.

I have a cavernous hemangioma of the left frontal lobe, have known about it for 15 years. Have been monitoring periodically for any bleeds. It did bleed in the past. I have not been affected neurologically by this condition. Although I cannot take certain medications or supplements that are categorized as blood thinners.

There is a concern that when I get older I may need to take certain medications which will be contraindicated, such as cumadin, aspirin and NSAIDS.

My advice would be to have an MRA (Magnetic Resonance Angiogram) with contrast if possible to look at the vessels. Get yourself a neurologist not just a neurosurgeon to look over your records. I don't know if you hemangioma is bleeding which is important in your decision. Catscans notice blood very well but they are strong doses of radiation so if an MRI will do, do that. Surgury may be necessary if they can't control the seizures. There also may be too much pressure because of the size of the hemangioma.

I am not familiar with how this response works if I will get a follow-up if you read this. In any event let me know what happens.