I had Cervical Disk Surgery one week ago today called Anterior cervical diskectomy and fusion C-5 C-6 with peek interbody fusion with plating. This is the first time I have undergone such a serious surgery. I was so happy when they got me in for my surgery only two weeks after seeing the surgeon because the pain was so intense. I am very active and only 36 years old. I have problems loosing weight too fast and from the pain I dropped to 89lbs. I had no desire to eat I only wanted to rest my neck. I have three older children and a husband that love me very much but even they had no idea how I felt. Even though they tried to understand. I counted the days then hours till surgery till I got to the hospital. Keep in mind my family doctor sent me for an MRI only after I told him this was in my spine so that took about 4 weeks till the MRI then another 2 weeks till surgery. All together about 3mths from the time I realized I needed to see the doctor till the surgery. I didn't sleep at all. I felt so worn out. Now it has been only one week since surgery and the pain I feel without pain medicine is inhumane. I don't have to wear a neck brace but I still have the same restrictions such as no lifting over 10lbs and to never bend my head. I can only move side to side. This not only effects a person physically but it can easily break a persons spirits emotionally. I can't do half the things I could and I still have so much pain. I heard so many stories that as soon as you wake up your pain is gone and how I prayed I'd be that person. My body twitches at night when I'm trying to sleep and wakes me up. I have a horrible burning sensation in the back of my neck although they went through the front of my neck for the surgery. Sometimes it takes hours to fall asleep from the burning. I'm trying to understand these last two days why I'm so tired. I have tried to go on short walks but that only makes me lay my neck for rest and the pain is terrible even with meds. I have stopped using the muscle relaxer because I thought it was causing me to be weak. I am trying to find out if such severe pain should exist after surgery and when does it get better.

I had a similar surgery C3-C6 posterior I was in serious pain for about two years. Its was when I stopped taking the pain meds and started going to the gym when I really started to improve. My surgery was in 2000 and as of the last year I retired from the Navy and became less active and now the pain is coming back. So if you ask me staying in shape and avoiding hi impact activates is the long term answer.

Hello I had spine surgery on c5 and c6 in april of 2010. I had bone replacement and a medal 4 screw placed in my neck. My left two end fingers pinky and the next finger, also my right hand two end fingers pinky and the one next to it is still number and feel like needles sticking me if I rub the fingers on my left hand. Also if I lean on my left elbow for a while it will began to hurt as if it is numb as well. But the left hand fingers are the worst. I just continue to excercise them everyday serveral times to keep them from getting stiff. My neck sometimes stings where the incision is , but only for a short time then it stops. I took my self off of the pain medicine because I didnot want to get addicted. But the great thing is I am walking better now and I can touch my legs with out it feeling like needles. Before, I wasn't able to walk with out limping or keep up pace with any one else. I have come along way after therapy, I am thankful.

Anonymous

Hi, I was diagnosed with Cervical Spinal Stenois almost 3 years ago, at the age of 21. I had no previous accidents, and the doctors believe I was born this way. I had weakness in my left arm as well as uncomfortable nerve pains. Getting into a comfortable position to watch tv, or even sleep was difficult every night. I am a very active person, involved in several different sports. It became painful to throw a ball, as I swung my right arm overhead, I felt pain in my left shoulder. I also had numbness in my pinky and ring finger on the left hand, and would often get pains shooting down my left forearm. Because of my age, my case was treating as an urgent matter. I had a CT scan April 08, MRI May 08, Surgury Sept 08. I chose to delay my surgury because I had a vacation planned for the end of August, and I didn't want to be confined to a neck brace throughout the summer.
In September of 2008, I underwent Cervical Spinal Decompression and Fusion Surgury on C-5, C-6, & C-7. I can honestly say, recovering was painful. I spent 7 weeks in a solid neck brace. I had to wear it 24/7, sleep with it, shower with it etc. I was on percocettes and T'3 in the hospital. When I got home from the hospital, I was taking 2 T3's every 4 hours religiously with very little pain relief resulting. I went back to the hospital and had the doctor prescribe me muscle relaxants. Within a few days my traps were no longer achy and stiff, I felt much more mobile and was able to do things for myself. I still had difficulty raising my body from a laying down position and I couldn't lift my hands above my shoulders.
2 years later, there is still numbness in my 2 fingers, as well as shooting pains in my left forearm. My range of motion resulting from the surgury is much better then I anticipated. I cannot touch my chin to my chest, and cannot tilt my ear to my shoulder, I can only go down about 1/4 of the way. Turning my head either direction I can get almost parallel to my shoulder. I do not remember what my range of motion was pre-surgury but having 3 vertibrae fused, I thought I would lose a lot more turning ability then I did. I am still physically active, Sports & several outdoor activities.
Just last week I had an appointment with my doctor to discuss findings from a Jan 2011 MRI. Turns out I have Mild Developmental Stenosis from C-3 downward. I also have 2 herniated discs, (C-4-5 & C7-T1) Both of which result in slight flattening of the cord. I also have an area of localized myelomalacia on the T-2 sequence. I have an upcoming appointment with the neurosurgeon who performed my last surgury in the near future. Hopefully everything turns out ok and I can finally be releived of all the numbness & nerve pain.
Hopefully this will help someone out there going through a similar situation!