I had a pinched nerve C-6-7 in my neck from a ruptured disk. My right arm was very weak and i had severe pain in my upper back and shoulder. I had the portion of the disk removed causing the problem through an incision in the back. The pain in my back and shoulder is gone and my right arm feels stronger but I can't lift anything b/c the stitches are still a week away from being removed. I don't plan to do any more heavy squats, or heavy lifting period. I just plan on swimming, running and using my bowflex (which I think is a lot safer) My question is will I be able to use my bowflex? Will my arm return to full strength? Does the nerve down my right arm take time to "Wake up" from being pinched for so long at the nerve root in my back? Thank you

Did you have the Anterior Cervical Disk Surgery? If so, how are you feeling? Would you have it again? I'm getting ready to have it soon. I have a C5-C6 herniation.

I had the posterior removal of the disk fragment in C6-C7. Quite large. It was very painful the first few days (I still have the stitches in) but not so much now. the back pain went away and my arm feels stronger. If they go anteriorly (sp?) odds are I think they can't go through your back and take the disk out. You might be having the fusion. If this is the case anterior is the only way.

I had a C5-C6 done back in the early 90s'. They went in through the front of my neck as not to leave a noticable scar. I still have pain in the same area of my neck and numbness around the incesion site. My surgery was done by one of the best in the country. I still get the headaches I used to have, but the only difference wqith that is once I feel a bad migrain comimng on I can pop my neck and get rid of the headache. If I can't pop my neck, then I will need strong pain meds. If a doctor tells you that you will be as good as new, don't listen to him. Expect the pain,though not as sever or as limiting, and it can only get better.

I just recently had mri,show herniated c6-c7 going to manual manipulation physical therapy.-just three appointments and small daily neck & chest exercises.Tried accupuncture twice,no lasting relieve, taking some natural antianflamatory and natural nerve pain pill-herpercin?
it has been 5 weeks of pain since the onset of neck pain.
When, does it get better? When can I get back to running, spinning
and feeling normal ??? Neck pain, trap muscle always painful, chest- pec muscle pain, pain down my arm,elbow and into fingers YUCK. I am sick of
taking aleve,ick packs, and heating pad. i can concentrate on much. work is slow but I feel like, Iwill never feel normal !!!!! Can i move through pain or just let my body rest ?
Any advice, hints or thing sto stay away from. What is best seating, reading, driving position? I did try small does of gabapentin for a short time, no relief, and I did not want up the dose.
Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you

raz2006 i just went through. i am at 6day post op. some soreness ,can only lift 10 lb max for 6 weeks all in all worst pain came in rec,room from having been tied and streached so you cant move .felt like shoulder was twisted in a position for a long time like it went to sleep.had sore throat fo 2 days and you are afraid to move neck just be carefull/dr gave me pain meds and mus. relaxers work great . ionly worry aboute fusion takeingmy surgery lasted 5 hrs 8-| 8-| 8-|