My wife is scheduled for cervical stenosis surgery next week. First we thought that it won’t be necessary but it gets worse, neck pain problem with her hands. I was wondering what the usually performed surgeries for cervical stenosis are.

Hello, I am sorry for you wife’s condition, my sister suffered too and had operation. They did to her ‘posterior laminectomy’ but I know that it is really depended of the cause. Surgery may be performed from the front and that is ‘anterior cervical fusion’. There are several variations to each one but I don’t know the details.

Hi there.....

I Recently had the surgery done with great results immediatly after the procedure. My problem was C5-C6 andC7. My Dr. used as cudaver bone instead of my hip bone due to my arthritis.

I'm just waiting for my voice to return to normal! Good Luck!

could you recommend a neurosurgeon who performed your stenosis surgery??..the doctor said there is a risk that you may not get your voice back and also risk that you may not be able to eat solid food again..

I recently had neck fusion (C4-C5, C5-C6) and had immediate relief for most of my pain. In my case, however, I had to wait for several years to have the surgery due to lack of insurance. So I continue to have some problems but nothing like I had before.

Have any of you who had the surgery or going to have researched artificial disks? I'm asking because I wanted to know which is better, artificial or bone grafting. I read in goggle searches that patients that underwent the artificial procedure recovered a little faster(2wk faster) than patients that underwwent the bone grafting procedure. I'm an active 34 male, and still want to live an active life as long as I can and don't want to limited or bothered with a lack of neck movement if I undergo the bone grafting method. Can anyone out there who had the bone grafting procedure done please let me know how they are doing after the surgery? Did you get better or has the systoms that you had before been eliminated? How is you range of motion in your neck?

Thanks

5 weeks ago I had the surgery - for 2 weeks I was improved. C4-5-6-7

Now right hand numb again.

Recovery from the surgery went well - within 24 hours of the operation I ate a hamburger on the way home from hospital.

Had another MRI yesterday - the process shocked my left hand to a greater degree than my "bad" right hand. See Doc on Friday 4 april 2008 - then we will see what new MRI and the xray show.

Never lost my voice - did not need pain medication - did not use the morphine pump at the hospital. 62 years old and looking to regain active life and lifting stuff - working in yard, etc.

Best of luck to all.

:-) I had my surgery last month Nov 25, on C3/4 thru C6/7 and was up Thankskgiving morning making pumpkin pie's"of course with my neck brace on" I was in absolutley no more pain exept for a little stiff neck .
I had been suffering with terrible neck, arm, and shoulder pain for the last eight years and could not take it any more, I feel I finally have my life back I am on no more pain meds and feel great, never lost my voice or had trouble eating and am ready to go back to work.
Thank you Dr. Sandhu

Getting ready to have c5,6,7 fused, pretty scared. Didn"t know you could lose voice for long length of time, or I also heard that you feel like something is in the back of your throat when you swallow. Has anyone out there experienced this?

I was not aware of that either. Can you let me know how your surgery goes? I think you shall be fine--it is a realatively routine surgery and you should recover well. Let me know how you're doing okay?

My Story:
I am a 36 year old female and have suffered with severe arm, shoulder and upper back pain for over 5 years. I underwent the ACDF (Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion) procedure on 9/25/09 and feel great! Surgery was done on C5/C6/C7 using Allograft. I had osteophytes which lead to foraminal stenosis (narrowing of the nerve root canal) as well as pretty advanced cervical stenosis (compression of the spinal cord itself). Nerve root canals on both right and left were very narrow due to the bone spurs which led to at first severe pain (first incident) and then on and off pain for years. I would have outbreaks every 6 months or so. At the beginning, the pain was the electrical 'shock' running down the nerves in both arms, muscle spasms and neck pain. Over time, as the degeneration worsened, I started losing strength in both arms, hands and shoulders and eventually my thumb, index and middle fingers went completely numb.

I debated surgery for years as I was unsure of the long term effects so I've done a lot of research and tried other options (physical therapy, massage, exercise, etc.) over the years to make sure I was making the right decision. First and foremost, find a neurosurgeon you trust. This is major surgery involving very delicate parts of your body (including your voice as stated in a previous post); don't leave yourself in the hands of someone who is not an expert in this type of surgery. Ask around to get good advice. Ask your general practitioner for references. Research the neurosurgeons in your area. Look to see what type of recent research your doctor is doing. Is he/she active/passionate about this procedure? How many of these surgeries have they performed in the past? How many do they currently perform (a few times per week is a good answer)? You want someone who could do this procedure in their sleep; who you'd trust to perform this surgery on someone you love dearly.

What to expect if you decide surgery is the right move for you:
I've read a lot of online stories about recovery times and what to expect so obviously this will vary by individual. I am pretty healthy; I maintain a good weight, exercise 5 times a week, etc. I am on my second week of recovery. I was in pretty severe pain the day after surgery so was heavily dosed on pain meds before leaving the hospital. I think a combination of the pain and medications made me a little queasy so day 1 post-op was definitely the worst. I stayed on the pain meds for about 3 days and then weaned off of them. I am still taking Soma for muscle spasms, which are prevalent in my trap muscles. I am down to 1 Soma per night. If not taken, spasms are there when I awake. I feel pretty good... a little tired, this is major surgery so it makes sense your body needs some time to recover. I did not go home with a neck collar but am not allowed to rotate my neck. My first post-op appointment is this coming Friday so I'll learn then when I can start turning my neck and picking up regular exercise activity. I have been advised that I should no longer run. I used to run a few miles per day on the treadmill but the impact is awful for those with this condition and will expedite degeneration so I guess I'll get back into bicycling and using the elliptical going forward. I still don't feel 100% but didn't expect to. I have the freedom to work from home if needed so took 2 weeks off of work and will work the following 2 weeks from home to allow my body to heal. Trust me, you don't want them having to go in there twice because you didn't take it easy. I have no doubts that I'll be back to "almost" normal by next Monday (1st work from home day).
I am prohibited from driving for 2 weeks. Not sure if this varies but it's for your own good. You should not rotate your neck as the new discs need time to fuse. The titanium plate is used as support but the important thing is that the new bone (disc replacements) fuse with your vertebrae. So...make sure you have someone around to run errands (groceries, etc.) while you're recouping. Also make sure you have plenty to do...2 full weeks in solitude gets pretty lonely :)

Outcome thus far:
Upon waking in the hospital after my procedure, albeit in a drug induced state, I could feel my fingers and hands (both of them). At first, I thought I was dreaming because the sensation was so unusual (I've not had feeling in over a year), but after feeling it a few more times (it actually woke me from my sleep), I knew it was for real. How awesome is that?
Since I'm not back into my regular exercise routine yet, not sure if my strength has returned in my upper extremities but I hope to know soon. I'll post back a few times over the next few months as I'm excited about what's to come with my recovery. I've read (not heard) stories of people who experience relief and then over time, the relief dissipates. I'm not sure how that is scientifically possible (unless there is another incident (e.g. other discs affected with the same problem)) if the root cause of the pain has been corrected so the only proof I can provide is my own story.

I spoke with a gentleman about to undergo the same surgery as I a few days before my surgery. He mentioned he spoke with the president of one of the colleges in my area who underwent the same procedure. She had a great quote (which I will likely misquote) but will try nonetheless, "You get to the point where the pain overpowers the fear (of surgery)." This was the point I was at when I decided to have my surgery. The only regret I have at this point is not doing it earlier. I lived with the pain for 5 years. If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have been a little more diligent about getting regular checkups and monitoring the rate of degeneration. I think this would have ultimately led me to make the decision a few years earlier.

I'm truly excited about living pain-free! I'll post back in a few weeks with my progress :)

Good luck to all those faced with this decision,
AD

HI I'm just started having the injection of steroid in my upper back for cervical spinal stenosis no relieve so far I'm debating on the surgery how are you doing now after your surgery I hope all is well I'm tired of the constant headaches and neck stiffness and tingling sensation. please let me nop how you are doing post op thank my name is keith 48 y/o e-mail ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

@ AD,
How was your outcome?? I am a 35 y/o female fitness trainer that has been battling progressing degeneration and am going through the same thing as you experienced. Please share your outcome and if you were able to get back to exercising normally. This is heartbreaking as I was an avid runner and competed yearly.
Thank you so much for your time....

In 1992 because of an on the job injury I had ACDF at C4-5 and C6-7. Based on my current pain from the base of my skull all the way to the tips of both hands and an MRI, I am told that I need C3-4 and C-6 ACDF. I am also told by the intended surgeon that the fact that I had the 1992 cervical surgeries has nothing to do with the need for additional cervical surgery. That does not make sense to me and I think that I best get to another surgeon, one that I can have faith in. My 1992 surgeon has retired but I am going to ask him to recommend a neurosurgeon.

Corredtion, I now need C3-4 and C5-6 ACDF.