I have severe stenosis. C4-5 left facet joint with bony hypertrophy with severe narrowing of the joint space. Mild neural foranimal stenosis on the right. C5-6 anterior and posterior osteophyte formation and marked narrowing of disk space. Severe degenerative changes at the uncovertebral joints. C6-7 disk space is markedly narrowed. Osteophytes in anterior and posterior, and do impinge on the neural foramina.

I have done PT, acupuncture, injections and now am consulting spinal surgeons. So far my neurological exams have been good, but am feeling tingling in my shoulder and amthinking my fingers are feeling numb. They do not know if I am a candidate for surgery. I am so scared - can I become paralyed? I have not spoken to a neurologist - should I see a neurologist or a neurosurgeon. My next appt is 12/5 with the head surgeon and am thinking I shouldn't wait. I need advise. Thanks, Mary

See a neurosurgeon and get the surgery if he or she recommends it. You are lucky you have no other symptoms than you do. Your problems can get much worse. I am recovering from surgery this minute (3 days ago). The pain and numbness from head to toe are nearly all gone. The only pain left is from the surgery itself. I can walk properly again, which I have not been able to do for more than a year. I can type without my fingers hurting. Don't let yourself get to that point. The surgery is scary to contemplate, but is worth the worry.

I had cervical stenosis over c4-5, 5-6, and 6-7 with a spinal cord 'signal' evident from the MRI at C4-5. C6-7 disc was seen to be bulging but not necessarily in contact with the spinal cord. My symptoms included numbness in both hands, with the right being the worst. Affected all 5 fingers -no pain though and I still had grip pressure.

Surgery wasrecommended in my case because the MRI suggested the possibility of significant problems if the impingement on the spinal cord worsened. Had an anterior decompression fusion at c4-5. Numbness is still there, but I'm told I have at least bought some time. Looked at artificial cervical disks - - MRI read by European neurosurgeons-they recommended two level artifical disks but I was afraid to leave Canadato havethis done as it wouldn't have been covered by my health insurance.

Bottom line, I would definitely see a neurosurgeon and possibly two if surgery is recommended, just to be sure.

My wife suffered from sudden collapse of Cervical 5 to Cervical 7 vertrebrae in 2002, with the prolapsed discs crushing her spinal cord resulting in hemiplegia. She underwent surgical restoration including steel implant. She has continued to experience paraesthesia over the left half of her thorax and abdomen and left lower limb. She experiences burning sensation of varying intensity through the day and night with waxing and waning intensity. She has found little if any benefit from medications like Amitriptiline, Carbamazepine(experienced Toxic epidermal necrolysis on 2 separate occasions),Gabapentin, currently on pregabalin 225mgs twice daily. Any increase in this dose causes intolerable drowsiness . In addition she also experiences constipation which has been ongoing since her cervical disc prolapse. She uses a hard cervical collar intermittenly when she feels tiredness and fatigue of holding her neck upright.

I would be extremely grateful if any further management could be considered to improve her quality of life by alleviating or atleast reducing the intensity of her experienced paraesthesia.

With regards

Chauhan

I had an op for c7 stenosis and severe myolopathy (spl). I was almost bed ridden. The after pain was horrendous but worth it just to be able to stand up again without a frame. Sadly, after three months I am still numb all over and cannot walk without a frame. But i was caught too late. Without the Laminectomy, however, I would be in a wheel chair and totally paralysed still.
Dave

Better consult with a spinal surgeon he will give solution to your problem and they will give a right solution.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

NO NO NO SURGERY SEE A CHIRPORACTOR I HAVE NARROWING OF THE SPINE AND WITH THEIR ADJUSTING MY SPINE I DONT NEED PAIN MEDS UNTIL THE BAROMETER AND TEMP CHANGE AND THEN ITS ONLY MOTRIN .HAVING BACK SURGERY LEADS TO STROKES AND HEART ATTACKS WITH NO DIEASE OF THE HEART OR ENLARGEMENT OF THE HEART ,

INJECTIONS WILL ONLY MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT MAKING THE PROBLEM WORSE FROM THE WEIGHT COMING DOWN ON SPINE .DOCTORS WILL TELL YOU YOU NEED IT SO THEY CAN MAKE THE BIG BUCKS OFF IT ,THEY DO NOT TELL YOU THERES A 99.99% CHANCE IT WONT RELIEVE ANYTHING BUT IT IS YOUR DESCION AND YOU WILL HAVE TO LIVE WITHTHE EXTRA PAIN THAT WILL COME FROM SURGERY .ALL I HAVE TALKED TO THAT HAS HAD SURGERY TELL ME DO NOT GET IT IT DOES NOT HELP AND THEY ALL HAVE ONE THING IN COMMON HEART ATTACK AND STROKES AFTER THE SURGERY . GOOD LUCK

Hopefully you're already well on the way to having found a solution. Just an FYI - be very careful with chiropractors as well. Mine actually made my neck WORSE rather than better - he never should have been manually adjusting my neck in my condition and apparently didn't consult the xrays that he took. When I asked to see my xrays they "couldn't find them". and he's a very well-respected chiropractor in this area. And in my experience most neurosurgeons worth their salt will have you try every non-surgical intervention before getting to surgery. I have done PT, meds, spinal injections...nothing worked so now scheduling surgery.

There is no evidence of where, geographically, this post originated, however, an ethical chiropractor knows when to pass patients on to other professionals. Be wary of a post that cites statistics that have no basis other than personal bias; "99.9% chance it won't relieve anything...." is not medically sound. This person is an alarmist. Sometimes, surgery is legitimately indicated.

When anyone is considering surgery, go on a fact finding mission and make an informed decision based upon research and empirical evidence; not what an alarmist posts anonymously on a public forum. Do your homework and make an informed decision based on the best information you can gather.

Dear Mary B.,
I can tell you that my son and I both have spine problems due to the injuries while serving in the Army. My son will be having surgery on March 29, 2013. He will be having 3 herniated disc removed by an Orthopaedic Surgeon. I also have spinal stenosis with anterior osteophytes and the narrowing, and osteopenia and everything else that goes along with it. Mine is severe enough to effect my bladder control, my vision and my gait. I also have been referred to an Orthopaedic Surgeon. The longer you wait the more it effects your body. I hope my post has been useful to you. If I were you then I would not wait. Good luck and let me know how things work out.