Do you think that leg numbness and cervical disc fusion could be connected somehow? The thing is that I was suffering from herniated disc in my cervical spine area for several months and I was advised to have cervical disc fusion which I did-the neurosurgeon removed the ruptured disc placed in between my 5th and 6th vertebras and than the cervical disc fusion was performed but ever since this I have this right leg numbness problem and I also have tingling sensations affecting my right foot. Anyway I thought this is a common post op situation but it is been now more than 2 months I had this cervical disc fusion done and my leg numbness still persists.

To be honest I don't know what could be the exact cause regarding your leg numbness but it is obvious it has something to do with cervical disc fusion and to me it looks like some complications common in cervical disc fusion such as blood clotting so if I were you I would check this right away for I have a colleague that had the same surgery last year and I remember he kind of a had the same leg numbness problem and he finished with taking some anticonvulsants for about a year and eventually it all ended well.

I also had a ruptured disk in my lower back. I had surgury July 27, 2010. Since then i have recovered but note that i am STILL recovering. Before surgury, I had numbness in my leg all the way down to my toes. If i had waited much longer, i would have caused drop foot. Then i would have been in a wheel chair. Not good. So anyways, I still have the numbness in my leg and foot. although its not as bad as it was, but id settle for anything not to have to feel the pain in my leg that i had from the disk rupture. couldnt stand , sit, bend, go to the bathroom, nothing. I should have had a morphine shot everytime it the morphine shot wore out!! This was literly the worst pain ive ever experienced. i promise you its worse that child birth. as a matter of fact it out weighed it!! and i have had 3 children naturally ok?! i also had some metal parts put in my spin to fuse my bones. still today, im alsways saying to my boyfriend and family, that "ohhhh my parts hurt!" lol i still leg pain when strech or sit in a weird way. if someone touches my leg it feels weird and like they shouldnt be touching it. it doesnt hurt but its a weird feeling. kinda like the same feeling if someone else touches my belly button. its just dont feel right lol but oddly enough, all my pain was in my leg before surgury. no back pain. but after the sugury, i have lots of back paiin and not much leg pain, but the numbness is still there. i think it depends on how much nerve damaged occured before the surgury to your nerves for your leg that stem from your back.which im sure you know that part probably. i dont know about you but at 2 months i was still layin in bed alot. it seems like it took forever to heal. even though my bones are still thickening, i guess it will take a long time to fully heal. I asked my regular doctor to prescribe some calcium pills to help build my bones back up. my own bright idea lol yay me! lol and good luck to you. oh i see its been over a year since u posted and are probably recoverd hopefully. how are you doing now may i ask?

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

vitia1278 wrote:

Oh My God! I now know I am not alone. Our surgical site and Rt leg numbness and tingling we have in common 5/10/12 while I work my right dropfoot, progress to right leg weakness. I could barely will it to move. I am scared to death and hope, someone helped you so that I can use that knowledge to help myself.

vitia1278 wrote:

i and in my 4 week post fusion of c3-4 same problem only on the left side. I will be back at the Dr.'s office next week due to this, all that I have read points to nerve damage I think I waited to long before surgery.

I just found this site and I am super upset! I started having problems with my right hip approximately a year after my cervical spine fusion was done. I returned to the doctor who performed the fusion because it was due to an automobile accident and asked if he thought it was related and he stated NO! What a JERK! He must have known of this connection!!! I am starting (for the last week) to have pain in the right side of my neck and shoulder and am now considering going to someone else for advice!!!

I had a fusion done on c4 through c6 with the titanium plate and 6 screws. I have the exact same issue in my right leg. Sometimes I have had it where it seems its going to buckle underneath me. I have heard it could be a bad disk in my lower back sitting on my sciatic nerve.

i just come acoss this site as i had c6/c7 fussed iin jan 2012 about 6 months ago started getting lower back pain and pain in my left leg had mri on lower back that found nothing wrong i was just wonderig if it is a side effect of the neck surgery

I to had fusion at c3-c4 and I and having burning and numbness in the left leg as well as the left arm and hand Dr is now treating me for nerve damage. hope you get to feeling better

thank you for your reply im going to dr today to see whats next my left hand is starting to feel funny and the msk person wants an x-ray of my pelvis so will see what happens

good luck hope they can find out whats going on.

I had fusion at c3-c4 almost a year ago soon after surgery my left big toe start hurting then my leg and arm soon the hole left side Doctor can't find problem and said that it may be due to fact that my spinal cord had been compress. Hope you feel better and you are not along with this problem

YES I do I to had fusion at C3-C4 AND NOW MY WHOLE LEFT SIDE IS AFFECTED AND IT'S BEEN 11 MONTHS with tingling and numbness but NS does see anything that he can fixed and said it must be nerve damage now in pain managment hope you get to feeling better because I know sometimes its feels like you are on your on.

I had c5-c6 disc replacement surgery 4yrs ago,prior to surgery I had lost a lot of use down most of my right hand side. Since surgery I have a lot of numbness especially in the cold weather, with bad motor skills and also have trouble with my right lower leg, feels like I'm dragging it around some days and makes me come home early if I'm out as it's tiring. You are not alone and unfortunately each case is treated individually to do with the cause. Good Luck

I seem to be having similar problems along with being fobbed of by the surgeons that nothing is wrong. I had a dropped left foot which I had to wait over 18 months to have surgery on. I had a c5 dissectomy which appeared to be successful although there was a numbness in my right leg after. This pain worsened within days of the op but was told it was normal and only time would heal it. Now 15 months later the pain is still causing problems with the leg feeling like a lead weigh several times a day but especially at nights causing breaks in my sleep. I average at best 4 hours sleep per night mainly due to the lower leg feeling icy cold. I have had a scan to check circulation but that is fine. The only thing which seems to help are stretching exercises - they ease the pain/numbness but have'nt cured it