I am a 56 years old woman. I have had a fusion in my neck in 1983 which went well. In 2003 I had four screws put into my lower back. This past semptember I started having severe hip pain and numbness in both legs and feet. I finally went to the ER and they did a CT scan. Told me my disc was blown and that my spine was all twisted.
I saw the Neurologist that did my fusion in 2003. He ordered a myelogram as I have a pacemaker. The pain of that test was beyond woirds. It took several weeks to see the doctor again as he was on vacation. I did go and meet with the neurosurgeon on 11/02/10. He said he needs to clean out the area where the cord is, put in two more screws and a rod. I have been calling and calling to get the surgery scheduled and the office staff to say the least has not been very nice to work with. I had to stop work two months ago because I can not walk. The pain is beyond severe. Both legs are going numb. I am feeling some difference with my bladder.
My job requires 80 steps up and down four days a week. I am just anxious to get fixed and get back to work. Today the office called and said they can not get me in until the end of Dec. I feel this is an emergency. I do not want permanent damage or to be crippled. I can get no answers from the staff, they refused to allow the doctor to call me. I do not know what to do.
I am on 4mg of dialudid every four hours. I need surgery asap and apparently am not going to get it. My insurance company only took a day to authorize it, so that is not the dealy. Is there anyone I can go to or what options do I have. Can I end up with permanent damages to my spine? I can't sleep, cant eat and cant work. My legs twitch, spasm, and my feet curl up at night. This is like a horrible dream.
Thanks in advance for help and answers !

Hallo there! I understand your concern and the gravity of your situation. I'm not an exert but the worst thing to do right now is to panic. Everyone in your situation would be anxious to get fixed and get back to work. But you don't want to develop the anxiety, that won't help at all. I also know how rude, impolite, the office staffs can be, but I suppose they are receiving a hundreds of the same calls and they have to deal with a lot of things at their workplace. You should believe your doctors. If it was an emergency case they would do it right away. Be patient, at least you got your surgery scheduled, you can wait a month. I hope your bosses will be understanding so you can continue with your job with no problems. I hope this will help you and you'll get better soon.