Hi, I suffer from chronic insomnia and I believe that it is due to my mothers death a few months ago, what affected me greatly. I tried some pills, but I am not allowed to take them anymore. What to do?

It is not rear to see a psychiatric disorder like depression causing poor sleep or insomnia.
Exposure to bright light at time of going to bed can help restore the circadian rhythm if there is a shift in sleep-wake cycle to undesirable times. A low-dose sedating antidepressant or a nonbenzodiazepine anxiolytic would be the best approach for treatment compared to traditional sedative-hypnotics. It is strongly recommended to avoid misuse of benzodiazepines, specially long-term use of long-acting benzodiazepines. There are some meditating techniques, herb remedies or other alternative approaches to treatment of insomnia.