Hello -

I'm a 35 year old woman that has been suffering from chronic thick mucous in my throat for over 6 years now. I've seen several doctors, had several procedures, bloodwork, medications ect... Always ends up the same way - with no new answers and a lot of frustration. ENT's blame it on my stomach (Reflux or GERD) Stomach doctors say NO WAY GERD is causing this. Mucous gets so heavy I now have to hack it up and spit it out all day of every day & even wakes me from sleeping. I now have chronically enlarged base of tongue lymphatics & lingual tonsils very enflamed as well. My tonsils removed at age 5. Seems to be coming from back of nose but ENT''s tell me it looks very clear and continue to blame my stomach acids. Just had 3rd endocoscopy and again was told its not my stomach. I can not enjoy everyday activities due to the embarrassment of hacking and clearing constantly now. I'm desperate for answers but have become so angry and bitter towards doctors. So much time, money invested in multiple specialist with no answers ever!!!!!!!!! I'm feeling desperate for answers or to find somebody else who suffers from this condition as I feel very alone in it.

I feel your frustration as I am the same. This mucous is driving me crazy. I can even be talking and it flies out of my mouth much to my embarrasment. Pulmonolgist thinks COPD from smoking when I was younger. I do not think so. It is coming from sinuses I feel sure yet ENT doc says no. Gerd doc says no. I am in my fifties and this is unacceptable at any age. Good Luck.

Your not alone, I'm 33 and have had this over a year now,
nothing helps and no one knows what it is, where it comes from.

ENT say stomach or allergies......I'm at the allergie doc now
and nothing he does helps, so I don't really think the doc for the stomach will help either.....
I cant even hack it up, its just stuck, will not go
down and will not come out, makes me and my better half crazy
clearing my throat every few mins.....

No idea what it is, never had it before, only started when I moved
to Poland.......have spotted drinking milk the last days in a hope that it might be
some strange allergies to the milk here

makes me crazy, real crazy, almost suicidel and depressed

I have the exact clear mucous problem. My ent says lpr and my gastro doesn't believe it is from acid. I am completely miserable with this mucous . Mine is worse after I eat especially after I east sugar or bread. I am very depressed as I feel like I will never get better. When I read these posts I never see anything positive about lpr healing. I am on 40 mg of nexium twice a day. I have had to resort to antidepressents just to get thru the day. (I was never a depressed person before)
I am getting married in a few months and I feel like this condition has taken over my life. Does anyone have any suggestions or positive advice??

I am seeing an allergist hoping maybe he can help me.

The

I have the same thing! I am sooo sick of it! I can't spend time with people because I have to get up and go hack and spit. If I don't do it and eat or drink something I feel like I'm going to vomit. I gag on it all the time. It's much worse in the morning. I started using Claritin D and it helped for a few weeks, but now it's back just as strong as ever even with the meds. I don't have insurance so I can't afford to see a bunch of doctors. If anyone finds out what this is, please let me know!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

I have suffered the last 7 years from the same exact thing. I remember when it started too. I had just come off a bad year of being on Lamisil, Bronchitis Antibiotics several times and hernia surgery...all in one year. Then the last time I had Bronchitis in the summer of 2001, the mucous never went away. I saw at least 6 different doctors and 5 different specialists. Ears throat and nose doctors, Allergists and General Doctors. I have had CAT Scans to reveal just a deviated septum, but nothing else. The Allergist told me I may have allergies even after taking a test to find out I am allergic to dust mites and grass!! Never had any issues before. Anyways, I met a friend that practices chinese medicine in 2002 and he had told me that due to the year of being on medicine, anastegia and lamisil my lymph nodes were a little swollen and I had built up a lot of toxins. The mucous was my immune system ridding itself from these toxins. He had me sit in his portable sauna several times and drinking herbal teas to heat up the inside. After the 3rd time in the sauna I was profusely sweating. Needless to say here...years later instead of being at 90% misery I am now at 10 % misery. I still have the mucous but it is not as bad. Not sure what else it can be. If you hear of anything let me know.
lifeworks23@yahoo.com

Add me to the list, I have been to 3 different ENT doctors and 4 different regular doctors and been prescribed just about everything under the sun! For me it's going of 8 months now and some days are worse that others, although it never completely goes away. One doctor just says post nasal drainage, another says anxiety causing acid which is causing a excess production of saliva to coat the throat, another say allergies, one says infection BAH!

I have the same thing. It started with chronic post nasal drip over ten years ago. For a long time I would swallow it and would be nauseated a lot. Now I hack it out all the time, worse after eating. Seems to get better at night, but then overnight it forms clumps between sinus and throat and I have to hack it up in the morning. It's sort of brown and lumpy, very gross. Hacking it up makes me gag and dry heave, so I have to do it before I eat anything. I've mentioned it to several doctors but they all sort of gloss over it. I haven't gone through tests - and after reading what you guys say maybe I won't bother. I do assume it's some kind of allergy, but it has to be something ever present. If not dust I suppose it could be wheat or sugar. I don't know. It is terrible. I'm afraid to have people spend the night because of the gross and noisy morning ritual.

Have had chronic mucous from lungs for about 40 years. Am near 80 and it has been serious problem for about 10 years. Previously it was only a problem if I were in a leaned back position for any length of time such as a dentist's chair. Have all other symptoms of chronic bronchitis with 2 to 3 acute exacerbations a year. I have been taking 1 or 2 tps of hydrocodone/guaifenesin syrup 5/100mg daily for about 5 years for relief. It relieves the constant flow of mucous as described in the other posts. Lately the h/g syrup has not been too effective and I discovered that the syrup is much more effective when taken with or after 1-2 adult aspirin. H/g syrup was recently removed from the market and must be compounded by a pharmacist. I have not found any other symtomatic relief. Hope this helps sufferers.

I too have been suffering from problem with thick mucous in mouth and throat for 14 mos now. I have seen PCP, ENT, Pulmonologist, Allergist and most recentcly Gastrointestinal Dr. Last week I had endoscopy and 2 biopsy's were taken. I will have results in a few weeks, but suspect he too will find nothing.

I am so frustrated that I can't find any relief. I have use inhalers, steriods, antibiotics, anxiety meds, PPI's, and antacids. Nothing helps.

The onset of illness I had a problem with talking and breathing. It felt like throat close causing choking throughout day. This lasted about 9 mos I becamse extremely sensitive to smells, but after taking several antibiotics I think what infection I may have had cleared up.

This morning there was blood in mucous. I didn't continue throughout the days hacking.

I have been reading posts relating to this issue on several web sites, but never hear of a disagnosis or successful treatment. Anyone had any success???

I am a 51 year old female. I have the same systoms that I have read about on this topic. I have the heavy mucus in my throat and a constant feeling of a lump or something stuck in my throat. I have had this for about two years now, The onsset started with strep throat and taking about five different kinds of antibiotocs. The last one was a dose pack of ethromycian. I took the first two pills and within 30 minutes I coughed and something felt as though it was struck in my throat. I could not get it up or down. I went the emergency room and was treated for an allergeric reaction. I had taken this medicine before. Ever since this time I have had this feeling in my throat. I have seen allergy, ent, asthma, acid reflex doctors and all have come up with no cure. I know that it is coming from my sinsuses. When I get congested it becomes worse. On Dec. 6th, I am going to Vanderbilt for a complete workup. They said they will have some answers when I leave. We will see if this works. I know how misarble this feeling is. Is there anyone who has an answer. I have been to Vanberbilt for all the stomach test for acid reflux. I do not have acid reflux.

omg it is just morning , i have a ton of mucus AGAIN in my throat and mouth and nose and everywhere!!!... everyday now :-(

i thought i was alone but looks like im not, but sounds messes up no solutoin :-(

mine been going about a year, i had bronchiotos and mucus has never went away ":-( i hope someone find a cure....

p/s/ im 25 year old male

hi everyone ,

i've been on chronic mucus for a very very long time ,

after seeing lot of doctors,

i finally have the solution , it's singulair for allergie , i am really feeling a lot better after one month of use ,

everyone try it ...it's also free of side effects cheers everyone

To all chronic mucus sufferers, I would like to suggest an experiment:
cut out all dairy products for one month and see if that makes a difference.
It may not be the cause of your illness, but it's worth a try.
Something is triggering your immune system, you just need to find out what it is.

Im just wondering if there is any consistency as to when this condition started with everyone.

I am only 23 years old, never smoked anything a single day in my life, and I started having this problem when I was around 18. I remember getting a real terrible cold after playing a game of football with some friends outside and being horribly under dressed and then from that point forward I have sporadic mucus episodes.

Most mornings I will have a thick brown mucus buildup in the back of my throat which I cough up and spit out and occasionally throughout the day I will have to repeat the process. Sometimes it isnt so bad at all, but its a very annoying problem overall.

My doctor says that mucus buildup is a symptom of innumerable conditions and recommended Nasonex, which I don't really feel solved the problem. I definitely feel like it's coming from my sinuses though, and somewhere along the lines of post-nasal drip, but far far worse. That would explain the buildup in the back of my throat throughout the night what with gravity doing its work, allowing mucus to accrue in the same spot every morning.