Ive been an opiate addict for ten plus years. Over a year and a half ago, I decided to go on suboxone. Big, Big mistake. I researched the drug and everyone told me its a miracle drug including the pamplets from the manufacturer ReckittBenkiser. The are liars. They want you addicted to their drugs instead of your own drug of choice. After paying a doc 100 bucks per visit plus 5 bucks per pill 24 milligrams per day, they broke my wallet and confidence. ive been trying to kick suboxone for a year now with no good results. Usually by day 3 or 4 the depression, legs aches and chills bring me down so bad I dont wanna live!!! Ive never felt suicidal before and thats where suboxone treatment has got me. Despite tapering down to just crumbs of suboxone per day, the misery continues, has anyone out there successfully quit this drug because I want to hear from you before I do something stupid. The mental anguish of not being able to stop is killing me mentally. The physical withdrawals are the icing on the cake. I almost want to use heroin or vicodin again just to wein myself off of suboxone. I have no energy, Christmas is coming and I am useless, not only to myself but my family. I don't know how much longer I can do this.

HELLO. I CAN UNDERSTAND!! I MYSELF WAS AN OPIATE ADDICT FOR 10+ YEARS AND HAVE BEEN ON SUBOXONE FOR OVER A YEAR. I AM POSITIVE THAT I AM NOW BECOMING ADDICTED TO THE SUBOXONE. I HAVE A QUESTION: DID YOU STOP TAKING IT COLD TURKEY, OR IS YOUR DOCTOR WEENING YOU OFF OF IT?? I AM GOING TO SEE MY DR. THIS WEEK AND TELLING HIM I WANT OFF IT. WHEN I TOLD HIM SIX MONTHS AGO I WANTED OFF, HE SAID NO, I SHOULD STAY ON IT A LITTLE LONGER. WELL, NOW SIX MONTHS LATER, I AM BECOMING MENTALLY DEPENDENT ON IT AND IT SCARES ME. IVE BEEN CLEAN FOR 16 MONTHS, AND AM WORRIED THAT I MAY WANT TO USE IF I STOP TAKING IT COLD TURKEY! PLEASE HANG IN THERE, AND KNOW THAT YOURE NOT THE ONLY ONE DEALING WITH THE SUBOXONE MONSTER!! TAKE CARE....

Hi hun,

I am currently 10 days detoxing from suboxone as I type and believe me I am going through a awful time but I refuse to give up.
I want this sooooo bad and the minds a powerful thing if you find the strength hun.

Hun I', getting hot flushes with goose pimples, restless legs, anxiousness, zero energy so i'm right there with you.
I am using df;s to ease off the symptoms but am Ont taking 3 30mg a day so far.
I will cut myself down on those before they finish and hope that as i've only been taking them for 10 days that they won't have got into my system much.

I don't know if Id of got through them without it but I 'll be sure to let you no the outcome.

Hun decide how you want to do this and come and get support from people like me.
You can do it, you just have to focus on the end result.
Delaying it will not make it go away.

Thinking of you hun. xx

I've heard a complete spectrum of mixed reactions when it comes to getting off of suboxone.

I've heard from several people that there was no problem at all getting off of suboxone. I've heard from several others that it was hell.

Three of my close friends all were addicted to Oxycodone (Percocets, Oxycontin, Roxicodones), some doing well over 300mg of Oxycodone per day. Every single one of them said that suboxone was a miracle drug, they started it and did not feel any symptom of withdrawal nor did they feel any major withdrawals when they came off of it. One said that he felt "weak" for a day or two when he finally got off of the suboxone - he was only on it for about 2 weeks subsequent to quitting the oxycodone, so I don't think he gave his body enough time to get hooked on it but he did give his body enough time to not experience any oxycodone withdrawals.

That's what I think the KEY to suboxone withdrawal is: it all depends on how long you are on suboxone along with the type of drugs that you were doing prior to starting on the suboxone. Since oxycodone withdrawals usually last only a couple weeks (in most cases), it makes sense that you only would stay on suboxone for a few weeks while it remedies the oxycodone withdrawals. And then, as soon as a couple weeks are over, you get off the suboxone.

Which brings me to my next question, which I would love to know the answer to - since methadone withdrawals apparently last 30-120 days (in some cases), how long should I be on suboxone for? If I'm on suboxone for, say, 20 days after I stop taking methadone, and then I quit the suboxone after those 20 days, will the methadone withdrawals that the suboxone has been curing all of a sudden reappear because there's no more suboxone to fight it? Or does suboxone, from the onset, immediately clear out any methadone in your system? Basically, after coming off of methadone, do I have to stay on suboxone for up to 120 days to completely kill any and all methadone withdrawals or can I be on suboxone for just 20 or 30 days or so?

I don't understand why you would be taking suboxone for more than a year though? Withdrawal symptoms usually only last a few months. Once the time period of the withdrawals comes to an end, shouldn't you stop taking methadone?

shouldn't you stop taking suboxone?*** (correction to last line of the above post)

I was addicted to a bunch of different opiates over a span of 5 years. Started with vikes and percs. Then jumped up to oxys 80s and herion. I got tired of going into withdrawals after 6 hours of my last shot or pill. So i switched over to methadone. I finally decided to get myself clean. I went and got set up on the suboxone program. Doctor made it sound great. I've gone thru withdrawals from all the drugs listed above when i ran out of money or i couldn't find anything. Suboxone was the worst of them all. I was taking the max 32mgs of suboxone a day for a little over 6 months. Then my doctor started weining me down. I was on suboxone for a little over a year. I got down to 16mgs a day and lost my job. Couldn't afford the suboxone anymore so i was forced to quit cold turkey. Im sure if your weined down by a doctor suboxone works pretty well. The doctor never told me that if you suddenly stop treatment your going to go thru worse withdrawals than anything you were initially hooked on. Methadone is a close 2nd when it comes to duration. I was dope sick for a little over a month. I didn't sleep for 9 straight days. I lost 30lbs since i couldnt eat anything without throwing up. When i finally could sleep a little i'd wake up and have to change what i was sleeping in and my pillows cause i'd sweat right thru them. I wanted to blow my brains out. Then the sickness slowly went away. Its been 7 months since i quit and i'm still not OK mentally. I think about getting high every second of everyday. The cravings are awful and the depression lasts so long. There is no easy way to deal with it. You just have to bite your lip and push thru. If the mental stuff gets to bad you should check yourself into a psych hospital. The sooner you stop the sooner it will all be over. It is still hard for me but its better then having addiction run your life. Good luck!

i was on methadone for a year and than subs for 2 yrs. the main things you need to get off is benzos either xanax or colatipin your anxiety will be bad for bout 15 day and try to get prescribed a sleeping pill over the counters dont work. ive been off for 3 weeks now and i feal fine and i didnt taper down i just quit from 24mgs. that's how i did it but my friend couldnt do it that way he was put of 5mg percs for a week and quit that way because there out of your system faster so w/d go away in 2 to 3 day but good luck

Jeff -

I can't tell you how long it will take you personally to get clean of the methadone without any withdrawals, but I think you are on the right track here. You only want to take the medication to help you get through while you are sick. Think of all other medications, would you take amoxcycillian 6 months after your infection had gone away? No, of course not.

I did a 4 day taper down on the subs a couple of months back - to get off a 200mg a day habit of the oxys too. It is probably different from the meth - but the point is the same. Take as little as you need to feel ok, no more. And each day should be a little less. I was ok. I sneezed a bunch and was sweaty, but nothing I could not handle. I lost only one night of sleep the entire time. Sleeping can pose the biggest problem I think, because you really do need it to function. But - my advice to you is to try to taper down on the subs in as little as a week or two and dont worry about the meth. You will be ok - you will feel so good about yourself for not taking any pills and that alone will keep you going, at least it did for me.

Good luck

I wish I just withdrawled off heroin....Suboxone is the worst W/D ever... It lasts soo long, its not as intense as heroin W/D but heroin is done in 5-7 days max this takes FOREVER I dont know how long it takes cuz I went 8 days and didnt feel any better and went back on it and I am only taking like 1-2 mgs crumbs off the 8's a day

I'm pretty late to this discussion but it's one that might help someone else so I'll be silly and post what I have to say.

I fractured my neck 4 years ago with moderate nerve damage. Spent 4 years on methadone and to be honest, I was really surprised at how well it worked...took it awhile...almost 5 days before the pain started to melt away but soon my life was almost back to normal...except my sex drive...it was completely destroyed...I was for a better term a packing eunich....I couldn't have cared less about sex.

But I could work. My doctor, working with my workers comp manager (CNA out of Dallas the lousy f**ks) decided to ween me off the methadone with Suboxone. I was on it for pain management for a while then they started weening me by a 1/4 dose a week...they then sent me to an outfit called RestoreFX...a rehab clinic where they help you retrain and get some movement back into damaged areas.

Once they submitted for the treatment, my workers comp dropped me like a hot rock. Right in the middle of detox. Jesus Christ be my Lord and Savior, I have never, ever been so sick in my life. Three days, calling the State Workers Comp injured workers council...my dr. any dr...being out of work, I had no insurance and was broke. The son of a bit***s left me in the first half of my detox...kicked to the curb. None of the "services" Austin has would take me...four week wait. I sat and wrote the suicide note and had been to home depot and bought the hose to run from my tailpipe into my car when I was inspired...I called my daughter 50 miles away.

She had 18 hydro's she would give me. I snotted and sneezed and weaved my way to her house, immediately chewed two 5/500's and fought the need to hurl...thirty minutes later, albeit exhausted, I felt good. Three hours later, here it came all over again...

Thus began the endless struggle to lie, fanaggle and con friends and family out of pills. Most of them I told the truth...some I did not.

It came to me that I wasn't going to be able to keep this up long. I am the director of a well-known non profit and the last thing I need is to get busted scoring dope on some streetcorner...but that's what I will probably end up doing.

If I can find enough hydro's I will wait out the halflife of the sub and then ween from the hydro's. I have been advised by a Dr. online that sub withdrawals cause many to suicide.

tell me about it. Had I not had second thoughts and called my daughter, services would have been held either today or tomorrow...such a tragic loss...such a good man gone to waste.

Well, I didn't do a god damn thing to put myself into this position and there is not one organization in this town that can help me immediately...same song and dance...406 weeks waiting period.

So when your Doctor wants to put you on Suboxone, look him straight in the eye and ask him, "if my insurance craters and I am half way through detox, are you going to abandon me?"

I wished I had known to ask it...I'd still be a happy man on the methadone

I have been hooked on and off for over 20 years on all types of pain meds, but ended up on Oxy about 400-600 mg/day, that ended over 3 years ago, and now the miracle drug which got me off has made me a slave.

I have been trying to get off suboxon for 2 1/2 years. I am also on crumbs; I have lost my business, house in foreclosure. I can no longer buy any more suboxone so I went cold turkey 3 days ago after over 2 months of just taking less than 1mg twice a day. The depression, antisocial behavior, anxiety, loss of appetite, sweats, leg craps, stomach cramps, lack of sleep just makes me want to end it all. I can’t take it any longer! HOW CAN THEY NOT WARN US ABOUT THIS?

I have a family that depends on me; I have gone from an upstanding professional, to a hermit with nothing

It has been a while since I posted here but I need to let you know that there is hope. I know that sounds trite when you go without sleep for days and you feel like you want to rip your damn skin off your bones...

Look...I am not advising this...but this is what I did.

I ended up buying a bunch of hydros...10's and took them as a maintenance drug then started weening off. I know you cannot probably do this but that is how I kicked the Suboxone in it's @$$.

Still the withdrawals were nasty...ended up as an indigent in the local ER. I found the miracle drug for ANY narcotic withdrawal....but man you have to be careful with it. It's called Clonidine and it is a blood pressure medication but it completely wiped out the symptoms. Yeah, it makes you sleepy for about an hour but after that, you have about 6 hours before you feel like c**p again.

It's the only thing that got me through.

Now the question. When you take other narcs to over-ride the suboxone, does it do it? I don't think so and here is why. I suffered horrible swelling of the lower legs and feet from the suboxone...it is a common occurrence. What I found out is that the residual suboxone finds its way to that water retention and stays there. The more my legs became normal, the better I felt. I am on five weeks and still have to take restoril for sleeping. I am anemic and pretty lethargic still but I make myself get up and go do stuff. Not working right now so I have that luxury. Still pretty disappointed that it has been 5 weeks and I still don't feel normal. Of course, after 4 years of methadone and a sudden cut in supply from suboxone (workers comp dropped me cold)...I'm not sure what "normal is anymore". I don't really want to date, or go out...it's just weird. BIG HINT. Don't let them give you Serequel. That stuff wastes you for the entire next day. Restoril worked great for a sleep aid...don't waste your money on OTC stuff. Anyway... my experience for what it's worth.

Thanks for posting all your experiences! It sounds like you definitely had a lot of difficulty but it sounds like you weathered it well. Thank you for your inisght.

i'm a bit confused. Those of you who say sub withdrawal is horrible/the worst opiate/wish you'd stayed on heroin/ etc... What is keeping you from switching back to heroin or your other drug of choice with the intent to quit those to lessen the ineveitable withdrawals or simply because you think suboxone is "the worst"/a waste/etc.? Seems to me if it so horrible, and your life is worse than when you were using and or withdrawing from other opiates, you would/could just switch over to the former drug of choice.

Not trying to judge anybody I am just confused...What is keeping you on suboxone? court? family? Why not just switch back to methadone or whatever you felt worked better?

I have been on Suboxone for around a year and a half, prescribed by my doctor after an argument that I did not want to live on pain meds for my back problem he reccommended subs as and I quote a non narcotic medication to ween you off opiates this was in the beginning phase of subs in my area of N.J. and I noticed right away that they alleviated my pain better than the perc's. and now after all my research I can see I am in for a pretty rough ride to get off these, This has become just like everything else a big business doctors specially liscensed to prescribe them the high price of each pill $8.00 in my area if you miss an appointment you are in jeopardy of being thrown out of the suboxone program, my answer to all the doctors those greedy little sh**s who got most of their patient addicted in the first place and now they can also prescribe the subs, they have both ends covered and I shouldnt forget the ridiculous office visit for the prescription cash only no insurance accepted this is one of the biggest scams in medical history, and I can assure all you readers the lawsuits that are going to arrive from this medication in the years to come will be plentiful. My heart bleeds reading some of these stories except the as****e who wrote "then go back to the drugs you were doing if you cant handle the withdrawals" to you my friend "eat sh*t you uneducated punk b***h" I will carefully plan my succession of this medication, but I think it is a very very sad thing that doctors are getting rich, the manufacturer is getting rich and we the victims are getting screwed. To all those out there fight with all your hearts you will win and overcome this horrible medication remember why you went on it in the first place to stop taking drugs and clean up your lives.I hope to see all of you at the Class action lawsuit, to all you doctors getting fat off this I hope you choke to death, to the executives at the sub factory see you at the deposition you fat f**ks.